• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stepped outside my comfort zone.

Llohr

Oakley Beginner
So, up until now all of my metals have been (or quickly became) X-metal finish with BI or BIP lenses. It just suits me, it's sort of my trademark.

It also doesn't hurt that the sort of people who would find it ridiculous to spend that much on shades don't appear to notice that I have more than one pair, despite the obvious differences between R1s, Juliets, and XSs...

Anyway I saw a deal that I couldn't pass up on these:
6GRazo2.jpg

Came with an X-metal soft vault, of which I only had one and rather wanted another--so awesome bonus!--and also came with a set of flawless 24k lenses as backup.

The bridge is nice and tight, and the stems have no flaking and just one small discolored spot that nobody but me will ever notice. The only issues I see are the current lenses (oh well, they came with spares) and the buffing on the bridge. The gold isn't worn off or chipped, it's just "shined" from repeated contact with something.

The nosebombs seem like they're in surprisingly good shape, considering the earsocks were completely toast. They looked fine but had essentially melted to the stems. Boiling only proved they were beyond hope. I put on new socks and stretched some juliet nosebombs on there to preserve the originals for now.

I assumed the wifey would expect me to flip them, but she looked at them on my face and said, "those can be your dress glasses." At which point I scrapped, for now, plans to have the bridge and stems blasted to X-metal. Tempted to try polishing the rest of the bridge to match the buffed spots but I have reservations.

Frankly I'd have X-Man reblast them gold and get them looking mint. Appears you and I have exactly the OPPOSITE taste in eyewear (and possibly other things); everything about my Oakleys, sneakers, watches and cars is flash flash flash, contrast contrast contrast. All about look at me factor LOL Nice pick up and enjoy- the XX 24K is a classic.

Latest Posts

Back