• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strange spider webbed cracks in lens coating?

@Maxwell Smart
As you mentioned, your issue was caused by physical force.

The initial thread regarding lens “crazing” or “spider webbing” is a different issue that exists. I have had brand new lenses that were never used that I got directly from Oakley.com have lens “crazing” on them.

@Maxwell Smart
As you mentioned, your issue was caused by physical force.

The initial thread regarding lens “crazing” or “spider webbing” is a different issue that exists. I have had brand new lenses that were never used that I got directly from Oakley.com have lens “crazing” on them.
I would have to disagree regarding it being a different issue, all of the research I have done on this subject has led me to the one and only conclusion that excessive force on the lense somewhere along the line is to blame for this crazing, whether during install into the frame or elsewhere in the handling of the lense prior to. The technicians at my store today all agreed and stated this only happens to a lense when it is bent with excessive pressure

That's what I though as too until I thoroughly researched the subject, and spoke with experienced eyeglass technicians

There are many reasons a lens can be crazed, cracked, etc etc, Based on @Maxwell Smart photos those are from bending the lens around a vertical axis. From too much pressure and not warming the frame. But sorry buddy, @Chet Manley is correct. Other forms of coating failure exist including relation to heat, age/oxidation, etc. This could include peeling/delaminating and cracking/crazing.

There are many reasons a lens can be crazed, cracked, etc etc, Based on @Maxwell Smart photos those are from bending the lens around a vertical axis. From too much pressure and not warming the frame. But sorry buddy, @Chet Manley is correct. Other forms of coating failure exist including relation to heat, age/oxidation, etc. This could include peeling/delaminating and cracking/crazing.
Warming the frame? I didn’t know that was a thing, care to elaborate on the method?

Back