• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strange spider webbed cracks in lens coating?

Warming the frame? I didn’t know that was a thing, care to elaborate on the method?
This is for plastic frames. Doesn't apply to metal frames. Look up "optician salt box" or optician hot box... Or not optician air frame warmer. This is why it's important we use professionals and don't always try doing things ourselves the first time.

Last edited:
The pics from the op look like the

Not yours but the OPs picture
Those are what I was referring, no different than mine just much worse
This is for plastic frames. Doesn't apply to metal frames. Look up "optician salt box" or optician hot box... Or not optician air frame warmer. This is why it's important we use professionals and don't always try doing things ourselves the first time.
Very well said, and I couldn't agree with you more

There are many reasons a lens can be crazed, cracked, etc etc, Based on @Maxwell Smart photos those are from bending the lens around a vertical axis. From too much pressure and not warming the frame. But sorry buddy, @Chet Manley is correct. Other forms of coating failure exist including relation to heat, age/oxidation, etc. This could include peeling/delaminating and cracking/crazing.
I stand corrected and absolutely take your word for it, thank you @Chris A Hardaway

I had these exact same style tiny cracks in my Ruby Juliets. I never really understood where they came from. It's a pity since the lenses were a nice ruby hue and by the time I thought to switch the lenses out, Oakley only sold fruby.

I had these exact same style tiny cracks in my Ruby Juliets. I never really understood where they came from. It's a pity since the lenses were a nice ruby hue and by the time I thought to switch the lenses out, Oakley only sold fruby.
That is odd! Never happend to me on my juliets and i've had over 50 pairs already

I just found my old lenses! Pretty stoked about that even though one of them has these cracks. Wish there was a way to repair these. They don't really affect vision unless in direct sunlight. Buuuut.... They ARE sunglasses so that's a problem. Haha.

IMG_20210409_195115.jpg

Your observation about any large forces, way be the reason for my Latches Prism Ruby Polarized. They are starting to 'craze' on the periphery, possibly due to the buggers being a REAL pain to take out. Ooooòooòooooooòopppppsssssss

I am very careful to examine my lenses before and after use, cleaning as needed.
One day, I removed my favourite Scalpels from the MF bag, and noticed a 1mm line where the iridium coating had split (not a scratch, and on the inside of the lens).
Despite being disappointed, I elected to wear ‘em anyway, as the fault wasn’t too bad, and it wasn’t visible while wearing.
When I returned home, I removed the glasses and examined the split.
It had grown to about 5mm!
I put the glasses away, (bag and vault), and began the search for replacement lenses (successful, thanks).
After a little over a month in storage, the new lenses arrive, and I exhume the Scalpels for repair.
This is what the split now looks like:
51107807070_dbeba58369_z.jpg

At a complete loss to fathom how this happens, I can only assume spontaneous de-lamination is planned obsolescence, or poltergeists...

Sounds like several people are experiencing something like this though not sure they are all caused by the same thing. The thought about stress/pressure causing them totally makes sense but I never actually removed my lenses before they appeared - only after. When I first got them, I thought maybe it was caused by heat making the lenses expand or something (I had left them in my car before in the sun).

Back