• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strange spider webbed cracks in lens coating?

CrazyALee

I should Work at Oakley
CA, USA
Asking for friend. I tried searching, only came up with one other result really...where someone may have a similar case.
Anyways attached are some pics of a ruby iridium lens, both sides mind you, not just one side. Upon close inspection under direct light, can see spider-webbed cracks or lines all over the lens. Swirly/circular around the whole lens....it seems its on both sides (iridium side and anti-reflective coating of other side)?

When the glasses are worn, cant notice them distorting vision...

Was really hard to catch these on camera; more apparent where the light source reflects from.
And FYI this is the other thread I found that may be similar case...maybe due to heat left in car or someone sat on them hence stress cracks?
Spider-webbed +Red Iridium Lenses In Ti Whisker Frames | Oakley Forum

11063183_10100842667848822_446863068_n.jpg

11072741_10100842667838842_1278731519_n.jpg

DSC07035.JPG

DSC07036.JPG

DSC07037.JPG

Initially I was expecting the iridium coating to be peeling. Judging from those pictures it looks like they've suffered an abrasion.

Initially I was expecting the iridium coating to be peeling. Judging from those pictures it looks like they've suffered an abrasion.

its consistent around both sides, of both lens, and its all over the lenses, from edge to edge, not just a particular area. Its just in these pictures its only visible where the light is shining. It was really hard to catch on camera.

doesnt seem like the typical swirl marks from cleaning with a cloth either...its weird

Bought a pair of SI M frames CHEAP because of this same problem..haven't a clue what caused it but would like to know

This reminds me of a problem I had with a pair of Rx a while back. I had spiderwebs in the transitions coating of my glasses. I'm pretty sure it was "crazing", which is basically cracks developed when two different materials are subjected to the same stress and act differently. The lens and the iridium coating were most likely stressed either by force or heat and expanded or flexed. The two materials will not do this exactly the same and at some point cracks can appear in the coating. When the stress is gone the cracks will remain. Seems like this may be whats happening...

Same thing happened to my OG lenses in my X serial Juliet.
I had kept them in my car glovebox for maybe 6-7 years straight, I figured it was from the heat.

This is bizzar, even if it wa stress cracks it should appear onnboth sides and cover 100% of the lense... I hope mine dont do that! Wih i could be more help!!

Back