• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stretched Out Orbital - Can It Be Fixed?

Frogskins

I am Jim Jannard...
New Jersey
I bought a pair of Frogs on eBay and they came with aftermarket lenses.

I should have picked up the hint because he referred to the lenses as "Purple" Iridium as opposed to the correct and genuine Violet Iridium.

Not a big deal because the frames are legit and I got them for a good price.

However when I went to swap the lenses for genuine ones, it looks like the aftermarket lenses, being a bit larger then Oakley lenses, stretched out the orbital - the genuine lenses were too small and would fall right out.

Grrrrrrrrrr

I took the lenses out and I am hoping that maybe in time the frame will shrink back to it's original size (wishful thinking perhaps?)

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to "shrink these frames back to their original size?

Thanks ...

I bought a pair of Frogs on eBay and they came with aftermarket lenses.

I should have picked up the hint because he referred to the lenses as "Purple" Iridium as opposed to the correct and genuine Violet Iridium.

Not a big deal because the frames are legit and I got them for a good price.

However when I went to swap the lenses for genuine ones, it looks like the aftermarket lenses, being a bit larger then Oakley lenses, stretched out the orbital - the genuine lenses were too small and would fall right out.

Grrrrrrrrrr

I took the lenses out and I am hoping that maybe in time the frame will shrink back to it's original size (wishful thinking perhaps?)

Anyone know if there's anything I can do to "shrink these frames back to their original size?

Thanks ...

You could try putting them in the fridge for a while: that may ease them back.....after all, you want them to contract rather than expand.

Yea but they're just back to where they were before when they warm back up.

In my experience, heating then allowing to cool usually brings it back to wear it was formed

Heat the frame with a frame warmer, (or a blow dryer on its hottest setting). Then make two "L"s with your thumbs and index fingers and squeeze inward on the side of the frame where the lens is falling out (like you're trying to make a hamburger patty tighter). Then allow it to cool or put it in the fridge (like a hamburger lol). Its not necessarily about getting the frame back to factory size because that will never happen, its about establishing new mounting points so the lens will not fall out

I had such a problem with two OEM lenses, so that's not a specific problem with aftermarket lenses.

Back