• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Strip it naked...

Alternative

I should Work at Oakley
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Naked Titanium that is... :biggrin:

Got a Ti R1 that has been neglected and spent a lot of time at the beach (sand around the orbitals). I was going to send it out to be customized, but that was too easy, so I decided to work on it myself. Besides, I wanted to save the serial, and If I didn't like the outcome, it's just a matter of shipping it for customization.

Started by sonic cleaning the disassembled parts with hot water and a few drops of dish soap. Did that a few times, and some of the coating started pealing off, so I decided to strip the finish by wet sanding. Already have an R1 that is polished (not chrome ;)), so I thought about a brushed finish. I used a 2000 grit initially to strip most of the coating, then a 600 grit, and finished it off with a 400 grit. I can probably achieve more brushed look if I use a 320 grit, but I like how it turned out. I'll probably send it out to one of the pros, but for now, I'll use the Naked/Brushed R1 (with cc +Red lenses) when doing yard work, or when I go to the beach. 🤙

Before
img3.jpg

After
img4.jpg

img4c.jpg

img4d.jpg

Back