• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Striped Head On Juliet Screw

selannefan1

Oakley Enthusiast
Hey all, so I got a pair of brand new gen 2 ruby frames today with defective lenses. When I went to remove the screws to remove the lenses one of the screws is destroyed. The previous owner must have massacred it in an attempt to replace the lenses I assume as it doesnt look like a manufacturer issue. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove this? Anyone encounter this before? Thanks all! JP
pagevave.jpg

rebudady.jpg

There are a few ways at tackling this...... You can spray the screw down with PB break or WD40 and use the next larger torx screwdriver on it. Push it into the screw head as your turning. You could use a micro set of flat head screwdrivers to catch the inside of the head and try to loosen it. You could get a micro screw extractor kit which has reverse threads that grab the inside of the head. Or send it off to X Man for some assistance if you think you may mess it up. I pulled a few screws out, just need the right tools and patience...

I've had that happen before. Often T6 will get stripped if somebody uses a cheap driver that isn't precision ground / an exact fit. In that case you can often still get it loose with a quality driver, such as from Wiha.

Yours looks pretty bad, though. Alden makes a "Micro Grabit" bit set that has a bit or two that are small enough to work in the Juliet holes. You need a drill with a twist chuck (no speedlock) to use them, though (not to mention a steady hand).

Other techniques (rubber band, WD40, bigger torx / flathead driver, Dremel) either didn't work with Juliet orbitals or were unsuitable, in my experience.

Wiha driver on Amazon:
Wiha 96706 Torx Screwdriver with Precision Handle, T6 x 40mm: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Micro Grabit on Amazon:
Alden 4507P Micro Grabit Broken Bolt Extractor 4 Piece Kit - Amazon.com

Good luck!

Oh Boy! This wasn't disclosed when you bought them? Oh wait I see it, "brand new ".
Seems like a lot of work and time to repair. Have you considered returning them?

Last edited:
Nope not disclosed. It was an epic deal @ 250 for a new serialed gen 2 frame, and he threw in a polarized pair of fire lenses for a little extra as the previous lenses are done for.

Also thanks for the above help all! Ill try my best and let you know how I go/what I learn for anyone in the future.

Nope not disclosed. It was an epic deal @ 250 for a new serialed gen 2 frame, and he threw in a polarized pair of fire lenses for a little extra as the previous lenses are done for.
Would have been nice for him to mention the broken bit though, sigh

I hope you can get the right again. If I had bought them on ebay they would be going back. Not such a great deal to be married to them.

Latest Posts

Back