• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped Penny hinge screw: Update

I think if it's pure titanium it would be possible. I used to have a full titanium motorcycle exhaust and my welder managed to repair a crack on it using titanium welding rods. I think x metals are made up of a mixture of few metals (alloys) that it's why it's quite impossible to repair unless we know the composition of the alloys.

Correct, it's the alloy that's the sticker.

If I recall correctly @qtrain23 had some stuff to say last time this subject came up...

Spend some cash on another pair...treat yourself kindly.
Cheers
I will, however repairing them is sort of a personal vendetta against the T6 screw. Plus it would be interesting to accomplish the weld thought to be next to impossible.

... And I may have a pet name for this frame if its successful. The Penny Scar, pretty lame haha. Thinking to leave the weld as is, although I may cave and send them in to The X-Man.

I will take them in and see what he says with them physically in his hand. I just looked again, the inside of the screw bore is quite thin, not sure if there is enough material to weld....

Pics will follow in the event of a successful surgery.

I have a local jeweler that owns a micro laser machine. I watched on a 50" led as he did the repair of this titanium watch band. Because of the alloy mixture in xmetal I have never asked him to try it. Since this was under the band it is never seen and is super strong. He was able to strength test it afterwards. Even if you micro welded the frame back it would need to be refinished to cover the welding. I would seek out a custom jeweler and make the attempt.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416013492.419198.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416013683.225902.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416013655.050585.jpg

Both companies were indifferent when I mentioned the titanium alloy. Non issue according to them.

We'll see how clean the weld is, I remember the Penny nose bridge that was welded on. If it turns out as clean as that I may wear it as is, a pair with history.

If its unsightly, I will refinish.

Both companies were indifferent when I mentioned the titanium alloy. Non issue according to them.

We'll see how clean the weld is, I remember the Penny nose bridge that was welded on. If it turns out as clean as that I may wear it as is, a pair with history.

If its unsightly, I will refinish.
This is exactly what I wanted to bring up. Unfortunately I lost those pictures. Man that weld was perfect

Latest Posts

Back