• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped T6 Screw!!

I still haven't got the screw out, but I haven't tried drilling it yet (may give it a shot this weekend). However, I ordered some allen head screws from McMaster Carr for both the Half X, and Juliet orbitals. Unfortunately the head of the screws are too big to fit into the recesses on the frames. I suppose I could try some phillips heads.

Since we are on the topic of stripped screws, is there any type of tool you could purchase universally that could help remove. I have X Squared X Metal/Ruby and one of the T6 at the bottom of the orbital moved ever so slightly. It's loose enough that the gasket is loose and will rotate around the screw however, it seems like the very end of the screw is still caught up. Anyone with suggestions? Should I send them in to Oakley or?

Gave this all a read. Took a pair of half x out of case to try out. Titanium lens too light...so went to change to black iridium. One torx screw was stripped...couldn't get a driver into the head at all...and they were basically "new in box". Searched for some ideas about removing it, but didn't want to hurt the glasses. Called Oakley...sent them in for $7.95...will let you know. I'll be pissed if they charge to change the screw...but have no choice if the glasses are to have any value.

After numerous run ins with T6 screws, I took the advice of members here and got myself a jeweler grade T6 screwdriver from Moody. The difference between that and a run of the mill, Home Depot T6 screwdriver is glaring.

The fit is far more snug on the screw head which translates to far less slippage. I highly suggest getting a jeweler grade screwdriver to deal with T6 screws.

So its stripped? Or just jammed? Try using wd40 or something...

I don't think it's stripped. There's only a small part of the screw still in the main part of the orbital. It is loose enough that the gasket will rotate but it looks like the screw head is jacked up from trying to remove it with the screwdriver. I've had a lot of problems lately with these screws so maybe I need to be more careful. It's almost to the point that I'm thinking about removing them from all my X Squares because I change the lenses out very frequently. It's just a major pain.

try stepping tp the next size torx driver or use a hex driver and it will/can grab the lobes since it has been "opened up" being a bit stripped. Has worked for me in the past.

I got a stripped (bare it was just a crater) out of my Juliets with a bit of pressure and a larger Torx driver (T8 or 9 maybe), if that helps.

Back