• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Stripped T6 Screws

wd40 won't help a stripped screw. will only make a mess. I have gotten many of them out in the past. You can also try jb weld/putty and press in a torx or other driver as it is nearing cured to make a new fit. May or may not work....

wd40 won't help a stripped screw. will only make a mess. I have gotten many of them out in the past. You can also try jb weld/putty and press in a torx or other driver as it is nearing cured to make a new fit. May or may not work....

If you find some cheap bits you could do this with any shape. Hell, you can get a cheap allen wrench for a buck to use if you're going that route.

I had some LocTite in a sample kit that was rated for driveshaft repair. It might ruin the bit, but that sucker ain't gonna break with any force your hands can put on it.

And I agree, WD-40 doesn't do what would be needed. Penetrating catalysts are used for seized or rusted fasteners where the threads have kind of melded from oxidation or galling. They won't do anything to remove tension from the screw.

When I took out the orbital screws from my xx, the threaded hole was rusty. Why do you think that is? Stainless screw wasn't rusty, and the frame shouldn't rust

Are the orbital screws soft metal-wise? Reason I ask is a few weeks ago I dropped into LensCrafters and asked if someone there was comfortable swapping out the Ice lenses in my Juliets for the Ice Polarized lenses I got over Christmas. Guy says 'yes, I used to work on Oakleys all the time' and proceeds to try and get the orbital screws out. After a couple of minutes of fussing with them he began to insist that the orbital screws were stripped. I tell him that I've never messed with the screws in the near two years I've owned these Juliets and he tells me that it doesn't matter how good I take care of the frame because 'Oakley doesn't like people messing with the lenses in the expensive models and has the employees tighten the screws at the store to the point that they get stripped so that people don't try and change lenses'. I wait until he's done and they're cleaned before politely calling him a liar.

The screws look good to me from a casual glance, I've yet to take a magnifier and get a better look at them.

Latest Posts

Back