• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

stripping ceramic coating on magnesium switch

I actually tried for about an hour to get the lenses out without damaging the frames or the lenses but in the end ended up destroying the lenses to extract them. To minimize any flexing of the frames I just carved a large hole with a carbide cutter through the lens to allow enough flexing of the lens to get them out easily. After that I sanded off all the rough edges of the destroyed lenses and kept them as a template for cutting new ones.

I didn’t end up clear coating it as I wanted to see how the oxidation progressed if they just sat in my cabinet. So far they look really good but I have noticed that if you pick them up and do not wipe them down before returning to the cabinet they will oxidize a bit faster where your fingerprint oils were left on the frame, these marks come off with a simple silver polishing cloth in about 2 minutes though. I think if you wanted to polish a set and never wear them the clear coat would work well but if they were going to be worn I think the oxidation would eventually start working under the clear and there would be no way to stop it. That’s probably the main problem with the design of these glasses, once the oxidation finds its way under the ceramic coating there is nothing you can do to clean the area to stop it from progressing.

Hope this helps

Clear coating should protect the frame from oxidize unless it's a cheap (ie. non-durable) or a porous solution.

Bear in mind not all clear coats are the same and a $5 spray from walmart won't outlast a professional clear coat solution

awesome job! polished look way better then matte black.on these...im.interested how is the nosebridge? is there any flex like on.x metals,or how did you manage to.not destroy it during sanding and polishing?thanks

Back