• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

stripping ceramic coating on magnesium switch

N Jenner

Oakley Expert
First off if there is a thread related to this please let me know, searched but couldn't come up with much.

I have a pair of magnesium switch that the coating is peeling and coming off in spots. I want to either strip the coating and use a matte clear or use an air dry cerakote to refinish them. Problem is that the original lenses are in very good shape with only a few small specs and scratches and from everything I've read when you try and remove lenses from these frames you pretty much destroy the lenses and I'd like to avoid that if possible. I'm looking for ideas here on how to strip the coating while leaving the lenses in and keeping them protected. I'm thinking any type of a chemical bath would be out of the question and was going to try masking off the inner and outer surface of the lens with green painters masking tape while I sand off the old coating and then decide on refinish.

Also I know that the nose bridge and hinge pins are apparently plastic but has anyone ever tried replacing the nosebridge pins with pins from a Juliet?

Open to all ideas on how to best tackle this project and I know that probably the easiest solution is to send them to dr chop but I'd rather try this myself if it's possible.

I don't know about the Finnish but I heard that the pins are plastic because metal pins could react with the highly volatile magnesium the frame is made from

The mag m frames have the same coating I believe but seem to hold up a bit better for some reason. Could just be that the frames have less contact points with your skin leading to less sweat and salt sitting on the coating.

So I ended up pulling the lenses and stripping them completely with sanding and a scotch buffing pad on a dremel. After sanding them down to 2000 grit on one of the orbitals I decided to polish them to see what it looked like. I know with the magnesium it will not keep the polish and will oxidize quick but what do you guys think? Polish and clear em or prep and air dry cerakote em?

IMG_1724.JPG

Back