• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sucks getting old

I turn 42 this November. It's Casual Friday where I'm currently working and they give out one bottle of Corona to everyone on lunch break. I grabbed my Leatherman to pop that baby open, and BAM ⚡🖐️ sharp pain inside my palm like in the base of my thumb. Is this arthritis? Also got gray hair showing, looking at the new temps in their 20's, then I look at my reflection and think "sh1t I'm probably her dad's age.." 😅

Middle age here I come. :car:
Free beer at lunch is all I got from that. That’s badass

My 75 yr old dad has gotten rx lenses custom made for his x-metal frames for years and years. it is possible just kind of expensive. When I go to try his xx's on I go cross eyed. Thankfully still 20/10 but I know it won't last, 39 soon and already noticing increased comfort wearing +1's while using computer or reading.

My biggest check so far has been my weight and my elbows. I can't eat garbage non stop like I used to, I have to watch it or I immediately feel like crap.

The worst though was sudden bad tennis elbow in both arms - hurt to even lift a glass of water, and it came on suddenly in both arms same time! I felt crippled!
Doctors looking at me like I'm fine and nothing wrong, super frustrating. There's no quick cure and I know it's from excessive keyboard and mouse use at work the need for which I can't control and have to keep on. The weight lifting had to stop completely for a couple months and icing both elbows every night. Now 6 months later I'm up to lifting but absolutely no lateral stress motions and no exceeding 15 lb dumb bells, no more 80 lb power lifting crap, just well controlled high rep low weight stuff, which weirdly is more effective for me results wise anyway!
But if I do the wrong thing or too much of this or that the elbow pain come right back and I have to ice it, it sucks!
Have you tried a vertical mouse or at least a gaming mouse? I use vertical and it helped a ton, but I’m slow with it. So, I use a big fat gaming mouse when I’m doing “quick” work.

I am 57 years old. Was doing fine until about 8 months ago. Both knees started acting up. Right knee worse than the left knee. Almost no cartilage. Had cortisone shots that did not work. Also not too long ago got the gel shots in both knees. It seems to help but not really pain free and steps are a bitch. Others have it worse..

I turned 44 last week….went in for an eye exam on Monday.. never have had glasses brought in some Oakley RX frames I’ve collected along the way .”well.. your insurance covers a $240 frame plus lenses.. but if we use your Oakley frames we can’t replace them under warranty.. or some ****…. So I’ve got my first pair of RayBan readers otw… 😩
Leave this forum sir

I am 57 years old. Was doing fine until about 8 months ago. Both knees started acting up. Right knee worse than the left knee. Almost no cartilage. Had cortisone shots that did not work. Also not too long ago got the gel shots in both knees. It seems to help but not really pain free and steps are a bitch. Others have it worse..
Do you take Krill Oil? Worked wonders for my joints.

No but I do take fish oil for my beautiful skin..LOL.. if that helps i may try that…I did do a bottle of the tummeric but that didn’t seem to help..

My 75 yr old dad has gotten rx lenses custom made for his x-metal frames for years and years. it is possible just kind of expensive. When I go to try his xx's on I go cross eyed. Thankfully still 20/10 but I know it won't last, 39 soon and already noticing increased comfort wearing +1's while using computer or reading.

My biggest check so far has been my weight and my elbows. I can't eat garbage non stop like I used to, I have to watch it or I immediately feel like crap.

The worst though was sudden bad tennis elbow in both arms - hurt to even lift a glass of water, and it came on suddenly in both arms same time! I felt crippled!
Doctors looking at me like I'm fine and nothing wrong, super frustrating. There's no quick cure and I know it's from excessive keyboard and mouse use at work the need for which I can't control and have to keep on. The weight lifting had to stop completely for a couple months and icing both elbows every night. Now 6 months later I'm up to lifting but absolutely no lateral stress motions and no exceeding 15 lb dumb bells, no more 80 lb power lifting crap, just well controlled high rep low weight stuff, which weirdly is more effective for me results wise anyway!
Broooooooo - this has been my life for the last 4 months 😭😭😭😭😭😭

I cannot reach over with my left elbow to even pick up my stainless steel cup full of water - putting any sort of stress at the elbow freaking ruins me !!!

Haven't been able to lift weights since March - back flies, side shoulder raises, front raises or anything that requires lifting weights with my palms facing up is a no go...

I can do curls "somewhat" and I can do push-ups, but I can't do any movement that requires even the tiniest bit of stress on my left elbow 😒😒😒

Can't even flip the covers off of myself in the morning with my left arm 😐

Broooooooo - this has been my life for the last 4 months 😭😭😭😭😭😭

I cannot reach over with my left elbow to even pick up my stainless steel cup full of water - putting any sort of stress at the elbow freaking ruins me !!!

Haven't been able to lift weights since March - back flies, side shoulder raises, front raises or anything that requires lifting weights with my palms facing up is a no go...

I can do curls "somewhat" and I can do push-ups, but I can't do any movement that requires even the tiniest bit of stress on my left elbow 😒😒😒

Can't even flip the covers off of myself in the morning with my left arm 😐
Ok so if you haven't figured it out yet, or doc hasn't told you, idk about you but to me docs were worthless on this.. is obviously

take it easy for a while, do NOT put lateral stress on it at all if possible (nooo lateral lifts, side raises, back flies etc.) just do nothing and ice it at night and even during day if you can get away with it.

Quick hack on the icing, cut the tip off a costco kirkland sock and use that as an elbow compression sleeve, then stuff an ice pack into that! They make post partum flexible ice packs for the groin area, I know it sound gross but they are great for this application actually.

gentle massage on the area to keep blood flow/healing up, gentle! Then, a raquet ball or something similar, tennis ball, whatever, work a little into your forearm, the issue is basically that a forearm muscle is too tight and needs to chill out. Find it and give it a talking to, gently. Heat therapy, hot tub/sauna, then this, is great.

I've read and seen videos of a stretch that supposedly helps with the forearm muscle too, which is hold your arm directly out forward palm down, then, with other arm pull your fingers downward and in, again, gently! hold. do this as comfortable and if it is painful or not helping stop. For me it hasn't helped much but I've done it a few times out of frustration with other things not working. Just try all of this.

Until then you CAN work out, just don't go upper body. I know it sounds lame but stick to cardio and legs for a month or two and ice your elbows give them time.

When you do work out again in a month or so, stick to like you said front curls like preacher form, nooo hammer curls, no laterals, no nothing like that. To work the shoulders do arnold presses. I do super sets of preacher style curls straight into arnold presses then back to preacher curls, all with 15 lb dumbells maximum! Neither of those will put lateral stress on your elbows but WILL keep your arms and shoulders poppin.

Since straight forward pull ups are the same motion basically as preachers, do those if you feel strong enough, but I'd wait at least a month after you start with the dumb bells before attempting, and if it hurts the next day, don't do it again for a month.

I would cut any lateral stress motion like side lifts etc out completely basically forever. Try them again in a year if you must. If you push it too much too long the nerve can become entrapped and you'll be stuck with this pain forever. If you start feeling tingling in your fingers it means it's getting worse, go see a doctor. There are infrared treatments and stuff they can you in PT and all but you'd rather not go down that road I'm betting I know I don't.

as it hurts, ice it. Think of this like a quarterback icing his shoulder after a game, that's how he can continue to play on right?

Ok so if you haven't figured it out yet, or doc hasn't told you, idk about you but to me docs were worthless on this.. is obviously

take it easy for a while, do NOT put lateral stress on it at all if possible (nooo lateral lifts, side raises, back flies etc.) just do nothing and ice it at night and even during day if you can get away with it.

Quick hack on the icing, cut the tip off a costco kirkland sock and use that as an elbow compression sleeve, then stuff an ice pack into that! They make post partum flexible ice packs for the groin area, I know it sound gross but they are great for this application actually.

gentle massage on the area to keep blood flow/healing up, gentle! Then, a raquet ball or something similar, tennis ball, whatever, work a little into your forearm, the issue is basically that a forearm muscle is too tight and needs to chill out. Find it and give it a talking to, gently. Heat therapy, hot tub/sauna, then this, is great.

I've read and seen videos of a stretch that supposedly helps with the forearm muscle too, which is hold your arm directly out forward palm down, then, with other arm pull your fingers downward and in, again, gently! hold. do this as comfortable and if it is painful or not helping stop. For me it hasn't helped much but I've done it a few times out of frustration with other things not working. Just try all of this.

Until then you CAN work out, just don't go upper body. I know it sounds lame but stick to cardio and legs for a month or two and ice your elbows give them time.

When you do work out again in a month or so, stick to like you said front curls like preacher form, nooo hammer curls, no laterals, no nothing like that. To work the shoulders do arnold presses. I do super sets of preacher style curls straight into arnold presses then back to preacher curls, all with 15 lb dumbells maximum! Neither of those will put lateral stress on your elbows but WILL keep your arms and shoulders poppin.
My son and I were doing tabatas with dumbbells

I used 15's and he used 10's - we did five 4:15 minute tabatas 4 times a week

The one workout that I think killed before was "Skull Crushers" for triceps...sometimes we would do a whole Tabata, but it would be a burnout...

So we'd do a whole 4:15 song doing SPEED hammer curls and SPEED skull crushers (like a burnout should)...

I think that F'd me up, big time - me left elbow feels like ass and I can't lift anything that weighs more than 4 or 5lbs with my palm facing down...if I try, I try with my right arm...

I feel like I could lift up a freaking tree stump outta the ground with my right arm, but I wouldn't even be able to flip a 4lb fajita on the grill with my left arm 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Back