• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions For 4.0?

Neither of those two. I want to limit how many welcome posts a single user can make in a day. Bumping 5+ welcome threads in a row is a waste of time, space, and effort.
I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about how many people can post in the section, not how many times a member can post in the section. But at the same time if there's a conversation happening ("Hey you're from the same town, do you go to X-store?") there's no way to differentiate.

The issue with this is, if I have had 10 transactions, 8 positive, 1 neutral, and 1 negative, then what number do you display? Do you display only positive, because then people may not see that I had a negative experience, same issue with displaying 10. The percentage, allows you to instantly know if every transaction they have been involved in is positive. Beyond that, if you click on the percentage, it will bring you to their trading profile, and show how many transaction they have been in, and the feedback for each. Though I may play with adding the number next to the percentage in the next update.

I think that would be awesome boss.... adding the number to the percentage would be better. and thanks for the updates! premium membership here i come!

How about navigating a trading profile through the app? Sometimes I need to leave feedback and I have to actually go to a computer. What I meant by a prefix on exchange threads is on a computer u can see wtb wts trade before the headline as on the app u cant

How about navigating a trading profile through the app? Sometimes I need to leave feedback and I have to actually go to a computer. What I meant by a prefix on exchange threads is on a computer u can see wtb wts trade before the headline as on the app u cant

Because we use Tapatalk those aren't things we control. Those are issues with their app, however I will bring these up with them, since they are very valid points. You can still navigate to the full site on your phone, but we are working on a more mobile friendly version.

Auto-lock threads with no activity after a year?
Sure would free up some of XMM's time... :)

Rustpot said: ↑ More trophies! Just added a bunch more.

I saw that, thought it was well done. Thanks.

Another suggestion regarding trophies - there are trophies awarded for number of likes received, how about some trophies for number of likes given?

A good post doesn't always need a posted response, but I think it's a good thing to encourage people to use the like feature to show their appreciation for a good post.

Yes, it could be abused, with certain people just liking everything to get trophy points, but so can the trophies for number of posts, with certain people cluttering up the forum with meaningless posts (especially when they revive dead threads in the process) just to get their count up... abuse of likes would be a lot less intrusive...

Blogs? - Yeah we have those. Could use feedback on these. I enjoy writing the occasional guide/article, but they just aren't popular. I'm looking into a possibly "News/Blog" page with thread promotion. Meaning there will be original content such as articles, but also popular/interesting threads being highlighted for readers

This is intriguing, specifically the "popular/interesting threads being highlighted" part.

When I first joined the forum I noticed a frustration among older members when the same questions were being asked again and again ("use the search first!" - type responses), while at the same time other members commenting that some informative post or another should be made a sticky.

I don't think the sticky method would work - the sticky section could quickly get cluttered and it seems that many eventually start blipping over the stickies and just looking at new threads.

So, earlier I thought about if there were some kind of logically structured informational section where the valuable content from informational posts could be stored, if that could kill two birds by reducing repetitive questions (unfortunately even though I use the search, I don't always find the existing relevant content) and also keeping some of the more informative posts from disappearing into history...

But eventually I scrapped the suggestion. I realized that the main purpose of this forum was discussion, not trying to be an Oakley wiki. There's already o-review. And there's no guarantee that making all the effort in building the information section will reduce newbies from asking the same question again and again.

But your idea on ways the blogs could be developed could maybe be shaped to help those pain points. I don't have a specific suggestion of how, but food for thought...

This is intriguing, specifically the "popular/interesting threads being highlighted" part.

When I first joined the forum I noticed a frustration among older members when the same questions were being asked again and again ("use the search first!" - type responses), while at the same time other members commenting that some informative post or another should be made a sticky.

I don't think the sticky method would work - the sticky section could quickly get cluttered and it seems that many eventually start blipping over the stickies and just looking at new threads.

So, earlier I thought about if there were some kind of logically structured informational section where the valuable content from informational posts could be stored, if that could kill two birds by reducing repetitive questions (unfortunately even though I use the search, I don't always find the existing relevant content) and also keeping some of the more informative posts from disappearing into history...

But eventually I scrapped the suggestion. I realized that the main purpose of this forum was discussion, not trying to be an Oakley wiki. There's already o-review. And there's no guarantee that making all the effort in building the information section will reduce newbies from asking the same question again and again.

But your idea on ways the blogs could be developed could maybe be shaped to help those pain points. I don't have a specific suggestion of how, but food for thought...

It sounds like we have had a lot of similar thoughts. I agree about stickies getting clustered. I understand some questions are asked over and over, but stickying 100 threads isn't a solution its just annoying. A huge pet peeve of mine is when I go onto other forums and see 20 stickies, essentially taking over the first page of threads.

I have seen some other forums integrate a wiki into threads, essentially making the first post a wiki entry with conversation below, but this doesn't really solve the problem of finding those topics. I have thought of integrating a wiki, but I feel it would become similar to O-review, which is a large undertaking. I think there could be improvements to a database, and having it integrated into the forum would be great, but that is a lot of data to gather. This is one of those ideas I flip-flop on constantly, whether its good or bad. Wiki's share some principles of forums in that they encourage collaboration. If we had a wiki, I would want members to be the ones creating new pages, guides, entries etc. along with editing them.

Maybe it is possible, if there is a wiki page, with the entires, then corresponding threads showing a snippet of the article and encouraging conversation around it. Once again though, I feel there is already O-Review.

I appreciate the feedback, and it definitely has my mind running about it again. I may dive into some research on it, and see what the integration would involve, but it won't be anything too soon.

OK, yesterday I made a mistake. I was looking at an exchange thread. The last couple of posts were the start of a conversation about the WTB and I innocently chimed in with a brief comment, in clear violation of the exchange rules against conversational posts in an exchange thread. Apparently the OP has a very intimate relationship with a stick; he totally took my comment the wrong way and responded with a post in blatant violation of forum rules regarding courtesy. In addition, apparently his head is in the same location as his stick; my attempt at apology and clarification was responded to with as much vitriol as his first response. At that point I used the edit feature to wipe out my earlier posts (for some reason I couldn't just delete them outright), but by then a couple of others had chimed in and the content I originally posted was still quoted in his responses. Later on xmetalmaniac dropped by and cleaned up the thread (thank you, maniac). And now it's all water under the bridge.

I learned a couple of things, personally:

1) :grin:Don't do business with that guy (I later saw from his profile page that he's one of those that rarely participates in conversations but basically lives in the exchange yet hasn't gotten around to supporting the forum with a premium membership).

2) The rules prohibiting conversational posts in the exchange and requiring courteous interaction are there for A VERY GOOD REASON (at least I avoided letting him goad me into breaking the courtesy rule, too). It is not a mistake I will make twice.

The point of all this? I am now firmly in the camp that nobody should be allowed to post comments on an exchange thread other than the OP.
- The "PM sent" post really doesn't serve any vital purpose that the actual PM doesn't cover.
- If the OP wants the thread bumped, he can bump it himself.
- If the deal status changes to SPF or sold, it's the OP's responsibility to update his thread. If he gets a bunch of PMs for an item already sold, it's his fault for not properly maintaining the status.
- If the OP is getting the same question from 10 different PMs, then obviously his description is insufficient. It's up to him to update the description or just keep answering the same question again and again.

There's just no must-have value in allowing people other than the OP to post in an exchange thread, yet allowing it opens the door for problems. I'm not the first to make this mistake, and, if things don't change, I won't be the last.

My .02...

- The "PM sent" post really doesn't serve any vital purpose that the actual PM doesn't cover.
I disagree. In my mind it helps keep a time stamp and history of who is interested and when they contacted the OP.

If a thread pops up and I see 5 people PM him in the first half hour I can be pretty certain it's sold.

Additionally, asking questions to help clarify details on the item should be open. Trades accepted, condition details, etc.

Latest Posts

Back