• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions For New Design - Oakley Forum 4.0?

What ever happened to the stand alone app?
Costs money to develop which I would have no problem donating.....but then again some members donate and some don't.....some will bitch and some won't if they can or can't have the app......

For tapatalk users - how about a customisable timeline.

@OakleyBoss isn't a big fan of Tapatalk and has said in the past he's looking to get rid of it, so not very likely.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan mainly because we have no control over it, so we can't customize anything. That's why we have transitioned to a mobile friendly site.

What ever happened to the stand alone app?

This is still something I have been looking at. It is a large undertaking, as mentioned in some of the comments. To get a fully integrated app, push alerts etc. on Android and iPhone, it would easily be several thousand dollars. I appreciate some members willing to donate, and like I said, it is something I have bounced around quite a bit. But for now, I am also happy with the responsive mobile site. What I really would love about an App, is the alerts. Get a PM? Ding. Watching the exchange forums for new threads? Ding.

I will research this more and see what it would specifically involve.

Personally I like using the web browser on my "phablet" (smart phone with giant screen) to access the forum. I guess if I still had a smaller screen, I might prefer a dedicated app. Like the 'Boss mentioned, the benefit of an app would be push notifications. I do however have email notifications set up on the website, so that is the next best thing.

Last edited:
How's this suggestion?

Make the date / timestamp on posts much more prominent...

I keep noticing all these dead thread revivals where, when pointed out how old the thread is, the reviver says something like, "Oh! I didn't notice it was three years old!"

Many of us always see the stamp because we're used to reading that as part of a post. But, in their defense, for those who aren't in that habit, it is an obscure tiny little grey-text line that can be easily overlooked...

How's this suggestion?

Make the date / timestamp on posts much more prominent...

I keep noticing all these dead thread revivals where, when pointed out how old the thread is, the reviver says something like, "Oh! I didn't notice it was three years old!"

Many of us always see the stamp because we're used to reading that as part of a post. But, in their defense, for those who aren't in that habit, it is an obscure tiny little grey-text line that can be easily overlooked...

So I'll take partial responsibility for dead threads and play devil's advocate a little. The truth is, this forum has 30,000+ threads with a lot of great information, but most of it gets hidden behind irrelevant titles/descriptions. Everyone does it, including myself, we make a thread, but the title tells you absolutely nothing of what is actually being asked/shown in the thread.

Let's give an example - Let's say you create a thread where you ask about the size of Holbrook lenses, and the title may be:
"I have a question about..."
"New here, wondering about Holbrooks"
"Holbrook Question"

Now, I am not "calling" anyone out, as I said, I do this just as much as anyone else. But if you try searching google, Oakley Forum, or even pass that thread, do you have any idea that it's about the size of Holbrook lenses? No.

What I've began to do, is go back to older threads which have good content/questions and rewording the titles to reference what they are actually about. Then when a member comes to the site or google's an issue they have, they find that thread and revive it. Also if you look at the most popular threads on OakleyForum.com, they are ones where the title instantly tells you what the thread is about. I often hear members complain that they never got a reply to a thread, but when I look at it the title is "Newb here". Well to be honest, if I see that, I have no clue what it's about. It could be an introduction, a collection thread, or you asking about how to replace ear stems. Members see it and simply scroll past it, because they don't know what it's about.

Now let's go back to our original example. A better title may be: "How big are Holbrook lenses?", "Size of Holbrook Lenses?" etc.

So, this has become some what of a rant, and I hope to get some input from you guys as well. But the ultimate summarizing tip is, write relevant thread titles - if you're asking a question, give a brief summary of it.

Here are some great examples:

Gray Polarized Vs Black Iridium Polarized | Oakley Forum
Oakleys In The Wild - Celebs, TV, Sports, Etc | Oakley Forum
Large Wide Oakley Sunglasses For Bigger Heads? | Oakley Forum

So I'll take partial responsibility for dead threads and play devil's advocate a little. The truth is, this forum has 30,000+ threads with a lot of great information, but most of it gets hidden behind irrelevant titles/descriptions. Everyone does it, including myself, we make a thread, but the title tells you absolutely nothing of what is actually being asked/shown in the thread.

Let's give an example - Let's say you create a thread where you ask about the size of Holbrook lenses, and the title may be:
"I have a question about..."
"New here, wondering about Holbrooks"
"Holbrook Question"

Now, I am not "calling" anyone out, as I said, I do this just as much as anyone else. But if you try searching google, Oakley Forum, or even pass that thread, do you have any idea that it's about the size of Holbrook lenses? No.

What I've began to do, is go back to older threads which have good content/questions and rewording the titles to reference what they are actually about. Then when a member comes to the site or google's an issue they have, they find that thread and revive it. Also if you look at the most popular threads on OakleyForum.com, they are ones where the title instantly tells you what the thread is about. I often hear members complain that they never got a reply to a thread, but when I look at it the title is "Newb here". Well to be honest, if I see that, I have no clue what it's about. It could be an introduction, a collection thread, or you asking about how to replace ear stems. Members see it and simply scroll past it, because they don't know what it's about.

Now let's go back to our original example. A better title may be: "How big are Holbrook lenses?", "Size of Holbrook Lenses?" etc.

So, this has become some what of a rant, and I hope to get some input from you guys as well. But the ultimate summarizing tip is, write relevant thread titles - if you're asking a question, give a brief summary of it.

Here are some great examples:

Gray Polarized Vs Black Iridium Polarized | Oakley Forum
Oakleys In The Wild - Celebs, TV, Sports, Etc | Oakley Forum
Large Wide Oakley Sunglasses For Bigger Heads? | Oakley Forum

Yeah I agree with you on all that - vague thread titles, misspellings, random abbreviations, and just plain made-up words make relevant search results very challenging. I hope your new tagging feature helps improve that, though I wonder if it's vulnerable to the some of the same stuff (misspellings, abbreviations, etc). GIGO...

And, on the subject of reviving dead threads, I'm not as militant about it as others here. I don't advocate automatically locking threads once they reach a certain period of inactivity. And I do believe there are situations where reviving old, dead threads is okay - perhaps it's an interesting discussion topic that can handle fresh participation, or otherwise is still relevant and the reviving post adds value...

I'm specifically talking about when someone revives a thread that no longer is relevant and the reviving post adds no value. For example:

Someone starts a thread asking if a particular pair is fairly priced. A definitive answer is given, the OP makes a decision about the pair, life moves on and the pricing discussed there becomes obsolete. Two years later, someone chimes in, "those are fake!" (even though they're not) or "that's a good deal!" or something like that. Maybe a good deal today, but FMV was different back when the thread was OP'd.

or...

Somebody posts about a killer on-line sale on Woot or someplace similar, it creates a feeding frenzy and sells out in an hour. Thread dies, life goes on, then two years later somebody posts, "I want one! Are there any left?" :punish:

That sort of thing doesn't add any value and just clutters up the forum, frustrating many members.

My earlier point was that often the excuse made by the reviver is that they didn't notice the thread was so old and dead. And the datestamp of posts is pretty discrete. So, if it was more prominent, perhaps that could reduce the number of useless revivals. That's all...

How about adding picture comments instead of posts. Kinda like FB where u can post a comment

Back