• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Suggestions On A Pair Of Oakleys For Me? HELP!

fraijda511

Oakley Beginner
So I haven't had a pair of sunglasses in years... Usually I just wear hats and it suffices.

But I'm looking to get a pair of Oak's and I've been looking at polarized but not sure if I need it... Also haven't decided on which frame to get.

Here are my uses:

#1- GOLF - I play a couple times a week so its hours out in the sunlight and squinting even with a hat trying to see that little ball fly. And I have excellent eye sight and it's annoying to have to squint for any reason to me LOL.

2- Vacation! - Getting married in 3 weeks and going to Jamaica for 7 days.

3- Everyday summer use - I'll also spend a few days on the lake, mostly hanging by the dock and boating a bit.

4 - I live in NY so theres the snow issue.

My pic below atop the Zugspitze in southern Germany... A day where I definitely could have used some Oakley's on my face!

Any suggestions on frames that would fit me well for my needs and what Lens i should be looking at? THanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flak Jackets! That way you can get multiple lenses for all of the activities you will be doing. G30 for golf/Black Iridium Polar for Jamacia and Lake/ Lighter Vr28 or fire for snow.

Sounds like you'll be using them for sports, so I'd get something from the sporting line with unobtanium grips.
Looking online can help you narrow your search, but you never know how something feels or looks on you until you try it on, so I suggest you go to a store and try a bunch of pairs on!

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like the Flak Jackets. I tried on a few pairs on at a store this past Sunday... I know I tried one pair that look kind of similar to the Flak Jackets but i'm not sure if that's what they were...

What is a good deal on them? Amazon has them with the g30 for $101... How much should I pay for replacement lenses?

Amazon.com: Oakley Men's Flak Jacket XLJ Golf Sunglasses: Clothing

Lenses typically go for $40-$60... I bought mine at the local Vault but you can get them from Oakley.com

i agree with everyone else....go with half or flak jackets. i have 4 pairs including half jackets, flak jackets, straight jackets and gascans. my flak jackets are my go to pair. they look sporty. that may not be the look you're going for. if not, look into straight jackets, monster dogs or gascans. possibly fives squared depending on how big your head is. the monster dog is a very nice popular frame, but they dont look right on me.

you mentioned that you spend a lot of time around water and snow. i would go for polarized. it will help cut out glare from water in the summer and ice and snow in the winter.

i recommend flak jackets either regular or xlj depends on what feels better for you.
i golf every weekend and thats the pair i use. they stay on your head firmly and are super light

Thanks for the suggestions! I do like the Flak Jackets. I tried on a few pairs on at a store this past Sunday... I know I tried one pair that look kind of similar to the Flak Jackets but i'm not sure if that's what they were...

Likely the Half Jacket 2.0. They fit a little smaller, so if you feel the Flak is too wide you should look at them. If the Flak is too small the Fast Jacket is a little bigger. If you don't like the rubber that much but like the style the Bottle Rocket is another half-frame design.

If you like the fit of the Half Jacket 2.0 but you need a plethora of lenses right away the original Half Jacket is still available (and looks better in my opinion). Lenses for the previous version are plentiful and [relatively] cheap!

Back