• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Sunglasses That Need To Go Away

If you could whisper into Jim's ear, which sunglasses would you tell him to discontinue?

• Gas Cans

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • Oil Rigs

Votes: 14 31.1%
  • M-Frames

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Frogskins

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • M-Frames(I cannot emphasize the need for them to go away enough)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Other(please specify in your comments)

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Frogskins are the biggest mistake Oakley has ever made.
If it werent for the Frogs, Oakley never would have made many of the cool models you so love, be thankful they are around.
this is purely speculation
Not if you ask Jim.
You are correct Greg. In addition to the post that Jim made, you and I heard come directly out of his mouth at RED that Frogskins was a decision that he regretted because it was a sell-out but... that it was the cash cow that funded all the other cool stuff that came out afterwards. For those that weren't there he stated it as well in the thread that Duke referenced:
"I flew to Japan and visited a manufacturer there and very quickly crafted the Frogskin. I knew it would sell. I just didn't think it was the kind of effort that would make us proud. It felt a bit like I sold out and when I was flying home, I felt a bit embarrassed. I asked myself if I wasn't just doing this "for the frog skins" (the bucks, greenbacks, dead presidents). I decided three things right then.

#1. Sell them and call them Frogskins to always remind me to only do brave an interesting things going forward.
#2. Get started on an intensive program to develop the very best optics in the industry and add more inventions and art to the next gen products.
#3. Build a factory and make our sunglasses in house.

Frogskins are great. They helped fund our future."

You are correct Greg. In addition to the post that Jim made, you and I heard come directly out of his mouth at RED that Frogskins was a decision that he regretted because it was a sell-out but... that it was the cash cow that funded all the other cool stuff that came out afterwards. For those that weren't there he stated it as well in the thread that Duke referenced:
"I flew to Japan and visited a manufacturer there and very quickly crafted the Frogskin. I knew it would sell. I just didn't think it was the kind of effort that would make us proud. It felt a bit like I sold out and when I was flying home, I felt a bit embarrassed. I asked myself if I wasn't just doing this "for the frog skins" (the bucks, greenbacks, dead presidents). I decided three things right then.

#1. Sell them and call them Frogskins to always remind me to only do brave an interesting things going forward.
#2. Get started on an intensive program to develop the very best optics in the industry and add more inventions and art to the next gen products.
#3. Build a factory and make our sunglasses in house.

Frogskins are great. They helped fund our future."

This is probably one of my favorite quotes from the man. This was awesome to hear him speak about.

this thread is a nice way to get different opinions from members but I don't quiet feel right about answering the question.... the thread sucks in too much negativity... but if I would choose then ill say discontinue all the Lux designed glasses but please don't bring back the metals, I would love to keep them as what they were before--- a legend among sunglasses that everybody would like to have..... anyway - Merry Christmas Bros!

I see a good number of us yearn for the glory days of yesteryear. But I have to say if it weren't for some of the current stuff, I wouldn't have considered Oakley. Yes, some are cheap plastic pieces, but I am happy that Oakley has attempted some mainstream stuff. Call me naïve if you wish.

Let's break down each pair one by one.

Gascan - Oakley's first lifestyle pair that introduced the Square O line. Anywhere you go if you see Oakley, you probably see the Gascan. It's a classic. Am I tired of it? Sure. But you can't deny that it's a classic and arguably Oakley's flagship pair. Probably one of the best selling pairs of all time also.

Oil Rigs - What is there to say about these? They are almost as popular as the beloved Gascan and just like those, you will see these in a lot of places if people are wearing Oakley. T-Pain wore these and had a signature pair, but who wanted these God awful things in white!? I say these deserve the boot more than the rest because with the Batwolf, Antix and now the Offshoot, there are plenty of shield frame options. HOWEVER, part of me is split because the styling reminds me of the old and bold Oakley with the "take no prisoners, I don't care how I look" attitude.

M-Frames - The classic, go to pair for any sports or active option. These have been around as long as Lance Armstrong has (I believe he was one of the first professional athletes to sport these) and they are STILL one of the most commonly worn pairs among cyclists and athletes a like. They have become a fashion sense.

Frogskins - Came around in the mid 80's and then made a return in the mid-2000's. I enjoyed the collectors releases when they initially came back out but just because of the over-saturation in the market with this kind of style and the hoards of releases Oakley has done, I have to say I'm quite tired of the Frogskin.

Out of all of these, I would go with Frogskins first followed by Oil Rigs. I would put in some opinions about new styles but we all know they won't be kicked out of the lineup until at least mid-way next year.

Latest Posts

Back