• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Swapping Jawbone Icons

jfiori

Oakley Expert
I'm new to this forum but I do have a fair collection. Nothing rare or but it's getting close to 20 pairs, I do have a 6' aluminium Oakley display case as well as an Oakley watch case and am working on getting another black double case. My fav is Oakley Jawbones, I have 4 pair in my possession right now and am waiting on a pair of chrome BMX editions to arrive, a custom pair that I will swap arms with another friend of mine to make each of ours green,white, and red like the Italian flag and a pair of echelons.

My question is how can I remove the icons from the frames without damaging anything and putting a different colour icons in? It's not something I want to be able to change like the lenses I just want something a little more different.

Thanks

If it's anything like the other frame styles, you can take a very fine tip flat head and pry it off. It's glued in.

I myself might take mine off and paint them black but I'd like to get confirmation from some other people before I try.

I've got a pair of jawbones that I'm gonna use for parts basically. So I'll try getting them out and letting you know how it goes. What kind of glue is recommended? I've heard crazy glue will make the frames weak due to the chemicals and the way it reacts to the O-matter

I'm new to this forum but I do have a fair collection. Nothing rare or but it's getting close to 20 pairs, I do have a 6' aluminium Oakley display case as well as an Oakley watch case and am working on getting another black double case. My fav is Oakley Jawbones, I have 4 pair in my possession right now and am waiting on a pair of chrome BMX editions to arrive, a custom pair that I will swap arms with another friend of mine to make each of ours green,white, and red like the Italian flag and a pair of echelons.

My question is how can I remove the icons from the frames without damaging anything and putting a different colour icons in? It's not something I want to be able to change like the lenses I just want something a little more different.

Thanks
Like batwolf said all you need is a tiny fine tip flathead screwdriver. Carefully pry the icon up, I've done this a lot of times. The icons have a glue/tape on the back and they stick back on. I haven't had any fail yet.

i use normally my fingernails... it works pretty well and you can´t damage the icon!

I just painted mine today, they are the same as everything else.

Tip for re-application: use a hair dryer to heat up the icon after placing it back on. This will re-heat the adhesive on the back and allow it to stick better.

Does it work in reverse as well? Could I use the hair dryer to loosen the adhesive to help when I remove it? I took the icons off a pair that I was using for extra parts and slightly damaged the frame, I would love to remove them from a pair of echelon jawbones but not if I even risk damaging the frame.

Thanks

I would just recommend using your fingernail or a very fine flat head screwdriver to do it. I suppose heat could work too but the flat head is easier.

Back