• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

SWP, DWP, Trail, Tungsten P, & Low Light compared with attempted stimulation

KarlBlessing

I should Work at Oakley
West Michigan
During Overcast Day - Park Scene

Not sure if this is useful especially considering our eyes don't exactly work the same way as a camera, but nice thing about a camera when you shoot it in full manual with raw files is that you can adjust the white balance after to be 'corrected'.

Setting
  • Tripod set, any shift/movement in image is caused by the lens distorting the light
  • Manual focus at base and then left as is for each lens
  • White balance set to 'cloudy' and left as is
  • Base shot at 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 200 (EV 0 at middle exposure)
  • First shot with lens with no change in exposure or white balance settings (gives an idea of how much it darkens and tints)
  • Second shot with lens with exposure adjusted to match EV 0 (as close as possible to original brightness of base)
  • All post processing short of white balance change on second shots are done exactly the same for every image. (if contrast of base got +0.25 so did every other image)
In the second shot with lens, the white balance is adjusted to the door of the barn while retaining it's original tint slightly (since our eyes tends to do the same).

I tried to find a scene that would have greens, browns, reds, and yellows, with some residual blue (not too much of that on an overcast day), this won't for example have any objects that scream at you like the yellow lines of the road, stop signs, green lights etc would with say Tungsten Polarized.

Base vs Lens (no exposure adjustment, no white balance adjustment), arranged from least change in exposure to most
compare.jpg

Base vs Lens, exposure adjusted in camera to match EV0, white balance adjusted in post from the raw file against door of the barn with slight original tint retained to show as close as I can perceive to what my eyes don't correct for.

compare_corrected.jpg

I plan on repeating the same set of shots at different scenes (such as maybe downtown city scenes of a lot of urban materials etc, or a golf course). If you have a specific type of scene you would like to see during specific type of weather let me know and I'll add to this thread. Also if I pick up an aftermarket lens for either my Holbrook XL or Flak 2.0 XL I'll add to the comparisons.

GIF Prizm Tungsten Polarized - Millenium Park - Mostly Sunny, Late Afternoon

Just a quick GIF showing base camera, then Tungsten lens (corrected for white balance, then slide some of the warmth back as visually it stays a bit warm rather than completely corrected like a camera would do).

Latest Posts

Back