• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

T6 Screws

To be fair Snap On make the best screwdrivers, try to trackdown a Snap On rep for tools. You can also get a paste that you dip your screwdriver into when trying to remove damaged screws. It is ment to help the driver grip & stop it riding up out of thr screw head. I've never tried this but i've seen it in demo's so can't say how good it does work. It might be worth a try if you can track the product down

Thanks for the option. It would take a flat surface for the super glue to hold onto the Torx driver, especially when you twist it counterclockwise. If the gasket will be cut, along with the screw..it might have the same problem, since part of the screw will be onto the orbitals. I should have brought a torx driver before I bought it...darn!

if you cut the screw closer to the head side, there will be some sticking out on the part thats screwed into the orbitals.. gives you abit more rom to work as well, instead of inside that little screw cavity

Thanks for the tips guys! At least I have 2 or 3 to do but having the courage to do it is another thing..lol! I just got back from the O-store and got wonderful news!!!

I hope that neither hinges on my Penny become loose. I just think about those screws and get paranoid now. :(

yeah penny hinges arent too bad, the washers inside arent plastic like in the juliet etc, they're actually flanged metal washers. This does mean if you tighten too much it will start wearing into the frame material, but also means it shouldnt disintegrate like the Juliet's. Although it does rust...

Good news is me and DG_mods found out you can use the plastic washers in them. plus if you use the hi-temp plastic he offers they practically last as long as metal ones anyway (plus with plastic you can tighten abit better, no more wobble!)

yeah penny hinges arent too bad, the washers inside arent plastic like in the juliet etc, they're actually flanged metal washers. This does mean if you tighten too much it will start wearing into the frame material, but also means it shouldnt disintegrate like the Juliet's. Although it does rust...

Good news is me and DG_mods found out you can use the plastic washers in them. plus if you use the hi-temp plastic he offers they practically last as long as metal ones anyway (plus with plastic you can tighten abit better, no more wobble!)
Crap. I dunked my Penny in warm soapy water when I cleaned them. I hope the hinges don't rust on me. :(

Crap. I dunked my Penny ij warm soapy water when I cleaned them. I hope the hinges don't rust on me. :(

yeah it shouldnt, just dry them really well, dont store it away damp. maybe take the lenses and rubbers out and leave it under a heat lamp or low-setting of hairdryer for awhile. and make sure you washed all the soap out well! if you eventually take the hinges off (very easy, also eaiser to install then the juliets), use grease on all the springs and washers. I used silicone grease on mine right after i cleaned it.. well worth doing i think..

yeah it shouldnt, just dry them really well, dont store it away damp. maybe take the lenses and rubbers out and leave it under a heat lamp or low-setting of hairdryer for awhile. and make sure you washed all the soap out well! if you eventually take the hinges off (very easy, also eaiser to install then the juliets), use grease on all the springs and washers. I used silicone grease on mine right after i cleaned it.. well worth doing i think..
Crap. I just shook off all the excess water and dried them with a towel.

I managed to unscrew one hinge and cleaned it out as best as I could but the other one had the screw head that started to strip so I didn't take that apart to clean.

Crap. I just shook off all the excess water and dried them with a towel.

I managed to unscrew one hinge and cleaned it out as best as I could but the other one had the screw head that started to strip so I didn't take that apart to clean.

ohh alright, well thats good.. good news is oakley still has those screws in stock the last time i checked. call your nearest oakley service centre and get them to send a pair to you. if they dont (i know the US service centre is ****ty with Penny parts), let me know quick, and ill try to order a pair from oakley australia as theyre (still) doing the tuneup on my penny. otherwisewe'll have to start searching for aftermarket alternatives.. try your luck at the hardware shop?
cheers

edit:try some wd40 to loosen that sticky hinge?

ohh alright, well thats good.. good news is oakley still has those screws in stock the last time i checked. call your nearest oakley service centre and get them to send a pair to you. if they dont (i know the US service centre is ****ty with Penny parts), let me know quick, and ill try to order a pair from oakley australia as theyre (still) doing the tuneup on my penny. otherwisewe'll have to start searching for aftermarket alternatives.. try your luck at the hardware shop?
cheers

edit:try some wd40 to loosen that sticky hinge?
Yeah I should call them to see if they have any Penny screws to spare. I figure I should probably stock up on them.

The hinges are actually fine. I just wanted to take it apart to clean them as there was some build up. The warm soapy bath got rid of most of it but I wanted to make sure the insides of the hinges didn't have build up as well.

I dunno what the previous owner did but there was quite a bit of dirt build up along the edges of the lenses, the nose connectors and the outside of the hinges.

Latest Posts

Back