• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

T6 Screws

sorry to hear that. i really hate how those t6 screws strip easily.
Yeah. I really don't see the benefit of using T6 screws over a flat head or even a Phillips.

The good news out of all of this? My wife saw how angry I was and bought ordered an X-Metal X-Squared for me.

I'm still fuming over the TiO2 but that definitely made me feel a better.

Yeah. I really don't see the benefit of using T6 screws over a flat head or even a Phillips.

The good news out of all of this? My wife saw how angry I was and bought ordered an X-Metal X-Squared for me.

I'm still fuming over the TiO2 but that definitely made me feel a better.

at least there's some good news to come out of it! congrats on x-squared, that'll be a nice gift to cool you down. :D

Yeah. Problem is, there are still T6 screws on the X-Squared.

I'm almost at a point where I want to go out and find a screw of the same size but with a flat head instead of a torque head.

Yeah the one absolute thing that pisses me off to no end about X-Metals is the use of the T6 screws. I just simply cannot fathom why they insist on using it.

Yeah the one absolute thing that pisses me off to no end about X-Metals is the use of the T6 screws. I just simply cannot fathom why they insist on using it.

They use Torx heads becasue a straight or phillips head screw that size could not be torqued high enough to set the screw properly. Phillips is actually designed to intentionally cam out so that it cannot be over torqued. They problem is they are easier to turn and, begin slipping only at much higher torque values so most people are unaware they are over tightening them.

The problem is they are easier to turn and, begin slipping only at much higher torque values so most people are unaware they are over tightening them.
Are you referring to the T6 screw or a Phillips?

Personally I screw in the screws as delicately as I can as I've learned from a previous situation not to over tighten it. Nowadays once I feel it tighten I slow and don't force it in. Problem was the previous owner must've over tightened it and caused the screw head to start stripping.

Haven't had any issues with the screw threads stripping. It's always the heads for me.

Yes, T6. Another problem is people using inexpensive drivers and bits. With larger screw and heads that's not so much of a problem, but the difference between a T6 and a T5 driver is .11mm and torx bits are a fairly complex shape, which require precise machining. Using a driver even slightly too small on a head that size will be enough to easily strip.

Yes, T6. Another problem is people using inexpensive drivers and bits. With larger screw and heads that's not so much of a problem, but the difference between a T6 and a T5 driver is .11mm and torx bits are a fairly complex shape, which require precise machining. Using a driver even slightly too small on a head that size will be enough to easily strip.
What do they use at Oakley? I've heard Snap On is a good choice but Home Depot doesn't carry that brand. Haven't tried Lowe's.

Ideally I want to use the ones that they use at Oakley to cover all my bases.

Just from a promo video I saw it looks like they are using a pneumatic torque setter, so I don' think you'd want to put a few grand into an air system an tools. For a high quality T6 driver Moody makes some nice jewelers grade stuff
Welcome to Moody Tools

But whatever you get look for jewelers grade, these are made to be very precise so they do not damage the heads on the finished product.

Latest Posts

Back