• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Target Shooting!

Mickle

Oakley Expert
Australia, NSW
A little while ago I decided to go and check out my local pistol club with my sister in-law. I've always been meaning to go take a look and see what was involved in regards to getting a gun license here in Australia (which turns out to be a really long drawn out process for a hand gun license)

Anywho, previous to going along, I had never held a gun before let alone fire one, so this was a brand new experience for me. I was given a brief run down of what happens there at the shooting range (which has a 25m outdoor area and a 10m indoor area) and how you go about applying for a license. After that the club president asked if I had some spare time and I wanted to shoot some "air pistol". I had no idea what they were at the time and he explained to me how they work and that you needed to learn how to use them before going outside on the 25m range where they use the "real" guns.

He gave me a quick run down on the basics (loading the pistol, lining up the sights, aiming and stance) and then let me shoot off 10 rounds. Needless to say, I wasn't very good. I did manage to hit the black targeted area a few times but was definitely just luck! I left the club feeling a little excited about what I had just done and definitely intended on coming back.

It's only been 5 weeks now since I first went there, not having a clue what target shooting was about, and I've been going along twice a week. In that very short period of time I have come to realise that this is going to become a great passion of mine. I am absolutely loving it! Not only that, but I am also becoming really good at it at a very fast pace!

The guy training me has started to score me and tonight I shot a very impressive score!! (keeping in mind I'm an absolute beginner). Rather than just tell you my scores, I thought I'd snap off some pics. This is for 10m Air Pistol.

7feae252.jpg

07e77283.jpg

adfc4f77.jpg

11c6fcb8.jpg

3cee0848.jpg

2e60e29a.jpg

ed031a0e.jpg

Great shooting Mickle!

When I was in college one of the phys. ed. classes I took was Riflery. We used air rifles and shot twice a week, receiving very good instruction in sight alignment, fundamentals for breath and trigger control, basic positions. I remember it being a great feeling bringing home my targets to compare and seeing the shots get closer to the X over time.

I have a set of .22LR guns I like to shoot slow and for accuracy. An AR-style rifle with a low power scope, and a conversion slide for my Sig Sauer P226

Nice shooting!

I just shot this at 25yd... That's 22.86m in the Queens measurements :tongue:

Springfield XD9SC/115gr Speer Gold Dot/ 25yd rapid fire 20rds

IMAG0502.jpg

Keep up the practice!

Attachments

• IMAG0502.jpg
    IMAG0502.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 192
ive always wanted to shoot guns! ive held many of them in my hands... 9mm, .45, .38 special, rifles. this is one of those things that im scared once ill do it, imma keep wanting to do it all the time!

ive always wanted to shoot guns! ive held many of them in my hands... 9mm, .45, .38 special, rifles. this is one of those things that im scared once ill do it, imma keep wanting to do it all the time!

It can be very addictive and you have already indicated an addictive personality through your eyewear preference. While in the Marine Corps I was a marksmanship instructor for a period and am currently a NRA certified instructor as well as a conceal carry instructor. I truly enjoy intorducing nice folks to the sport of shooting. When I shoot targets I use my buttery smooth 1911DK in .38 Super or 9X23:

6957200826_0cd1295931.jpg

And nice shooting guys!

Attachments

• 6957200826_0cd1295931.jpg
    6957200826_0cd1295931.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 176
Just got back from the range. Shot a personal best tonight in 10m Air Pistol. 95/100 and PB overall score of 545/600 (will post a pic tomorrow)

By the way, I only ever shoot one-handed! (since that's the way it's done in a competition)

The first one was about 3 months ago. First time I had shot a pistol or any gun for that matter in at least 20 years. 9mm semi @ I think 15 yards.

DSC01288.jpg

The second one was the shooting part of the conceal and carry permit process. 70 shots with a .22 semi and 70 shots with a .22 revolver @ 20 yards i think.

DSC01289.jpg

I may have found a new hobby.

Attachments

• DSC01288.jpg
    DSC01288.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC01289.jpg
    DSC01289.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 236
The second one was the shooting part of the conceal and carry permit process. 70 shots with a .22 semi and 70 shots with a .22 revolver @ 20 yards i think.

DSC01289.jpg

They didn't mind you going for head shots in your CC class?
They are usually pretty strict about shooting Center Mass....

Attachments

• DSC01289.jpg
    DSC01289.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 180
they didnt say anything about it. Each gun we has 50 practice rounds and 20 test rounds. I used the chest for my practice rounds and the head for the test rounds. I got a little cocky and tried to put a smile on his face with the bottom cluster but I couldnt do it.

Any advices guys? Ha! For three of my test shots I only managed a meagre 60+%. Moreover I shoot with laser. Oh and I am on the tuaras revolver 0.38mm.

Latest Posts

Back