• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tell Me About The O ROKR

Rustpot

M Frame Lover
Clarkston/Romeo MI
I am told I have trouble answering the phone, and one of my friends suggested I try to keep a bluetooth earpiece on me when I'm out and about and can't hear the ringer in my pocket.

Then I recalled that Oakley made the ROKR glasses. I am intrigued. They're discontinued, but I figure someone around here has a pair or knows where to track one down if I decide I want it. The Oakley website lists the prices at $100 or so (which are actually O ROKR Pros?), but an online search shows them for well over $300. What are these worth? Were they blown out for $100, and they might be in some vault somewhere for that price?

What's the fit similar to?

Any serious issues, or reasons why Oakley's not doing electronic glasses anymore?

Does it work with Android phones - specifically the music player and button interface? I've never owned anything bluetooth, so I'm not sure how it works in terms of what is played on the earpiece.

Do the glasses pick up your voice well?

Herbs has the Pro's. I'll get him to take a look at your post :0)

A coworker of mine had the Razrwire and said the bluetooth module sucks. It wasn't clear and would lose it's connectivity pretty often. He just used the glasses and left the bluetooth at home.

If you're looking for a reliable bluetooth earpiece, check out the Jawbone Jawbone: The Leader In Personal Mobile Technology & Maker of UP, JAMBOX, ERA, ICON HD and ICON HD+NERD

I have one and it works great.

I don't know what the reason was for Oakley to stop offering electronic devices, but i think it's safe to say maybe you shouldn't buy one :smile:

I've heard the Jawbone doesn't work if you have a beard, since it can't sit on the face and all.

I was also interested in the headphones aspect since the earbuds I use don't reach from my pocket and I have to keep my phone in my coat if I'm using the music player.

OK, so I own a pair of O-ROKR Pro, and here is the low-down regarding your questions.

Do they work with Android phones?
Yes. I have a HTC Desire and it all works great, including music and calls.

What is the fit like?
They are the same as a BottleCap basically. They are not a large frame, and they are not very 'tall' in terms of height on your face.
I like my frames quite large - and I really perhaps only just pull this frame off. I wouldn't wear them as a casual sunglass if they didn't have Bluetooth.

Do they pick up your voice well?
Yes. I wear them while cycling and have conducted conversations on the move at speed. The caller gets wind noise doing this of course, but can still hear you. The microphone is located on the underside of the frame to try and compensate for this.

Why did Oakley stop making electronic sunglasses?
OK - this is where the answers start looking less rosey. The answer to this question is that, basically, no-one bought them.
In terms of the Thumps, for example, why would you spend so much money on them for soooo little memory, instead of just buying an iPod?
In terms of the O-ROKR and Pro, as SpliceD suggests, buy a good separate headset, or wireless BT headphones and wear your normal Oakley glasses.

Is there anything else I need to know?
Yes.
If you have a problem with your O-ROKR or Pro, Oakley customer services will not really be able to help you long term. Why? Because they cannot repair them. The electronics were all units bought from Motorola, and if your O-ROKR breaks, then the whole frame has to be replaced. I know this from personal experience, as I received the last unit in the UK when my old O-ROKR Pro just stopped working.

Should I buy one?
Honestly? If you can get one really cheap (like I did) - then go for it - but treat it as a consumable, cos if it dies, then you are stuck with something that looks so cack as a pair of sunglasses that you will never wear them again.
But I urge you - quite strongly - read my comments above and DO NOT PAY SERIOUS MONEY for a pair.
Don't get me wrong, I love mine for cycling, and I will be gutted if anything bad happens to the replacement pair I now wear.
But I cannot recommend them to anyone else I'm afraid, due to the above problems, and the lack of support for them.

If you have any more questions let me know!

OK, so I own a pair of O-ROKR Pro, and here is the low-down regarding your questions.

Do they work with Android phones?
Yes. I have a HTC Desire and it all works great, including music and calls.

What is the fit like?
They are the same as a BottleCap basically. They are not a large frame, and they are not very 'tall' in terms of height on your face.
I like my frames quite large - and I really perhaps only just pull this frame off. I wouldn't wear them as a casual sunglass if they didn't have Bluetooth.

Do they pick up your voice well?
Yes. I wear them while cycling and have conducted conversations on the move at speed. The caller gets wind noise doing this of course, but can still hear you. The microphone is located on the underside of the frame to try and compensate for this.

Why did Oakley stop making electronic sunglasses?
OK - this is where the answers start looking less rosey. The answer to this question is that, basically, no-one bought them.
In terms of the Thumps, for example, why would you spend so much money on them for soooo little memory, instead of just buying an iPod?
In terms of the O-ROKR and Pro, as SpliceD suggests, buy a good separate headset, or wireless BT headphones and wear your normal Oakley glasses.

Is there anything else I need to know?
Yes.
If you have a problem with your O-ROKR or Pro, Oakley customer services will not really be able to help you long term. Why? Because they cannot repair them. The electronics were all units bought from Motorola, and if your O-ROKR breaks, then the whole frame has to be replaced. I know this from personal experience, as I received the last unit in the UK when my old O-ROKR Pro just stopped working.

Should I buy one?
Honestly? If you can get one really cheap (like I did) - then go for it - but treat it as a consumable, cos if it dies, then you are stuck with something that looks so cack as a pair of sunglasses that you will never wear them again.
But I urge you - quite strongly - read my comments above and DO NOT PAY SERIOUS MONEY for a pair.
Don't get me wrong, I love mine for cycling, and I will be gutted if anything bad happens to the replacement pair I now wear.
But I cannot recommend them to anyone else I'm afraid, due to the above problems, and the lack of support for them.

If you have any more questions let me know!

Pretty good review there herb. I personally don't like having a wireless device close to my face for long periods of time for obvious reasons due to the fact that the waves go straight into your head. I don't really use any wireless headphones nor do i talk for long periods of time with my cell phone next to my face. I guess its just one of those things to me. based on herbs words i wouldn't go for one at all. But that is just me.

Latest Posts

Back