• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Tell-tale Sign A Shadow Head BOB Near You Is A Replica! So BEWARE!

pennyhoney

Oakley Expert
SF Bay Area
It is a damn shame I landed with one of this replicas, so here I am to share with you the subtle differences between OEM and replicas in case you are wondering if what you got is o-legit. I have 3 of the original ones all acquired form an authorized Oakley dealer so I have the luxury of comparing. All 3 head I got look alike in terms of weight, height, angle of stance, sheen, composition and the structural bore (hollow core) that is why the replica stood out like a sore thumb.

All pictures shown below are to compare the real one (picture left) vs the replica (displayed on the right side)

I can only speak about the replica I got so this does not represent all replicas out there.

Here are the signs:

1) Cranium size: the original head is smaller compared to the replica (the mold may have enhance the size a little to create a replica form)
2) Sheen color : the original head is matte black vs a slight sheen on the replica (shown on the picture)
3) Lines: the original head has a more defined lines vs a rougher lines on the replica (shown on the picture)
photo%25201.JPG

4) Height: the original head stands a tad shorter than the replica ( again, some replica may stand the same height or shorter)
photo%25202.JPG

5) What's inside? If you still can't tell the difference between an OEM and replica then look inside or underneath the head: the original has 4 circular felt paper on the 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock underneath the head, this maybe there to prevent surface scratching or rocking of the mannequin if the surface is not entirely flat. Its easy to add this felt paper to a replica because they are dirt cheap.
6) The Bore: the 9 o'clock of the OEM is slighly thicker than the rest ( see picture). The replica has a thicker and darker inside bore than an OEM
photo%25203.JPG

7) Weight: All OEM stands at 4 pounds, 2.5 ounces- period!
photo%25205.JPG

8) Angle of stance: the OEM stands at 0 degrees flat and the replica I got is slightly off to its right which is really annoying

Hope this helps all you rooks and crooks! Know what you are selling or buying. Avoid being labelled as dishonest and price them fair, appropriately or accordingly

photo%25201.JPG

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

photo%25205.JPG

How are you certain both pictured are not genuine and Oakley simply doesn't control the production of mannequins as closely as you imply? The fact that you have 3 identical doesn't mean anything that varies from them is not genuine.

I agree that it certainly is plausible you ended up with a copy since there's obvious profit in making fakes, especially in these.

But it's possible you have a torso that was cut down after it broke and was refinished, or something of that nature.

yes - those fakes are on the market since a few years now . . .

IT'S A SHAME!

I'm gonna check my 2 bobs whenever I get home. Now that's gonna eat at me all day long thanks lol. Mine are just 2 different color blacks. Hmmmmmmmm

One thing I do know is that the guy on eBay selling the painted spike bob heads. I have one and know for a fact they are fake. $800 of mine wasted but it looks good.

FYI, the 3 shadow heads I have were acquired from 3 different OPDs in 2 different countries, in 3 three separate occasions ranging from year 2002-2007 and all 3 happened to weigh and appear to look alike. Enter 2012, in this forum, the head is way heavier and it's stands lopsided. Just sharing facts here, it's up to you if you want believe it or not but I await for more credible Oakley members here to put down their 2 cents.

Another take on it!!!! How the hell do we know which one is real? You are guessing which is real? There are NO markings or stamping saying which one is real or fake? That being said Oakley pretty much said these aren't rare and didn't stamp or mark them to show real authentic product. Could it be Oakley used several sources while they were produced ? It is what it is nothing I can do but say I have bob heads.

My buddy and I here at work are talking about this. Should be working lol. He collects terminator stuff. He said he has sideshow terminator heads directly from the mfg same heads but stuff isn't exact. Saying chrome is flaking off teeth are different color. GE told me he contacted sideshow and they told him they use different vendors to make the terminator heads.

I hope mine are real but maybe Oakley is / has done the samete ing as this other company

Back