• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Testament to Oakley Quality

DirtRacerM16

Oakley Beginner
Minnesnowta
Just wanted to share a little experience I had with my Flak 2.0's up at the hunting land this past weekend. I was mowing out some woods around the yard with the tractor, and while backing into the woods, a pine tree branch swiped my shades off the top of my hat. I didn't notice, and proceeded to drive over them about half a dozen times with a 3000 lb tractor, with a brush hog spinning a 540 RPM :eek:. After I got done,I looked around in the usual places that I would have taken them off. I then walked over to were was mowing and found the front frame, still intact, but missing the frame sides, nose pieces, and lenses. My heart sank, as I thought for sure they were junk. But I started looking around and found a lens! Then looked and looked and eventually found everything but the nose pieces! One small crack in a lenses and few more scratches but I was amazed they could survive a beating like that. Put all the parts back together and wore them home, Oakley's quality at its finest!

Last edited:
Just wanted to share a little experience I had with my Flak 2.0's up at the hunting land this past weekend. I was mowing out some woods around the yard with the tractor, and while backing into the woods, a pine tree branch swiped my shades off the top of my hat. I didn't notice, and proceeded to drive over them about half a dozen times with a 3000 lb tractor, with a brush hog spinning a 540 RPM :eek:. After I got done,I looked around in the usual places that I would have taken them off. I then walked over to were was mowing and found the front frame, still intact, but missing the frame sides, nose pieces, and lenses. My heart sank, as I thought for sure they were junk. But I started looking around and found a lens! Then looked and looked and eventually found everything but the nose pieces! One small crack in a lenses and few more scratches but I was amazed they could survive a beating like that. Put all the parts back together and wore them home, Oakley's quality at its finest!
The quality of the product is still high. It’s that they have cheap and outsourced manufacturing practices that leads to bad quality control. I’m glad you didn’t mess you glasses up though.

I have been using Straight Line 4.0 Rx since ‘15, multiple on/offs/day (they’re my “readers”).
My Optometrist: “Wow! These are Oakleys! They last forever!”
50208201182_67a4433c98_z.jpg

Light, Clear photochromic, Rx.

I am continually surprised how much consumers like to run over eyewear with vehicle and claim high quality when it survives. With Oakley it really is a matter of luck. Some times they survive and most often they do not. O Matter really is not made for that. There is a nylon memory polymer called Grilamid TR or TR90 that actually is made for bing run over. Here is a video of the abuse eyewear can take....

I am continually surprised how much consumers like to run over eyewear with vehicle and claim high quality when it survives. With Oakley it really is a matter of luck. Some times they survive and most often they do not. O Matter really is not made for that. There is a nylon memory polymer called Grilamid TR or TR90 that actually is made for bing run over. Here is a video of the abuse eyewear can take....

10 years or so ago i did accidentally run over a Ducati Gascan with a Vermeer LM-42 lawn plow and the frame survived. Lenses were obviously toast but i still have that frame today with new lenses and use it for yardwork and such.

I was leaning down to watch the blade come into a crossing and they slipped off my sweaty head. In gravel too!🤣

Back