• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

That EBay Postage Rip-off Just Happened To Me

Good work jfiori. You sound like a sensible seller with a finger on the pulse of technology.

However, it is quite naive to think that all Ebay sellers are like you.
It should perhaps be considered that most humans are pretty stupid, and therefore it follows that most 'Joe Public' Ebay sellers will be too.

And, it seems from evidence regularly in this Forum, likewise to ALL CraigsList sellers! haha

My point is, don't fall into the trap of crediting others with your level of intelligence.

Good work jfiori. You sound like a sensible seller with a finger on the pulse of technology.

However, it is quite naive to think that all Ebay sellers are like you.
It should perhaps be considered that most humans are pretty stupid, and therefore it follows that most 'Joe Public' Ebay sellers will be too.

And, it seems from evidence regularly in this Forum, likewise to ALL CraigsList sellers! haha

My point is, don't fall into the trap of crediting others with your level of intelligence.

I'm sorry but I still think it's the sellers responsibility to be knowledgable on shipping prices if they don't want to pay out of their pockets for the promised service. Who's responsible for it otherwise? I've bought stuff from JK-27 before off this forum, awesome seller who knows what he's doing and knows what stuff will cost him even before he starts up a for sale thread.

I can see it now, ebay reacts to problems like this by starting their own shipping company and charges shipping prices to the buyer on the sellers behalf. As much as we all hate what ebay has turned into they are only reacting to stupid people not looking after their own stuff.

You want to know a little secret??? Sellers cannot leave buyers negative feedback anymore. This was a major and very controversial policy change a couple years ago. Ebay's justification was just that-there were buyers leaving accurate negative feedback for sellers and sellers would fire back with negative buyer feedback in retaliation, so eBay cut of negative or neutral buyer feedback as an option. Now, the result? Well....there's been a spike in no pay buyers. People just bid or buy it now in the event they might want it or to hedge their bets against another item etc (and given eBay rules they have a week to pay so they can stall THAT long). The result of that has been an increase in sellers requiring immediate payment for items-you want to buy it now? You pay for it now. This doesn't stop non paying Best Offer or Auction winners, but its something.

I cant believe we are having another discussion about the "ebay" postage rip off...... First off Ebay has nothing to do with it, its the seller. Secondly, I understand you asked or though you were getting express shipping to CA and only got priority, that part does suck. How long does it take to get something though customs? I have had stuff go through in a day, sometime a week or more. Once it leaves the US I have no control over it unless I ship it with Fed Ex out of the country, and it is big bucks.

Buyers with this "I'll slap them with a neg feedback" over piddly **** like this is what make me hate selling to some people on Ebay. If the glasses show up as described and look good, them either leave a + or dont leave anything at all. You can mention a mis communication about the shipping speed but if you got them and they are as described, chill T.F.O.

I could take up an hour on here trying to give the sellers point of view but I dont feel it would do any good at all.....

On another note I had 2 packages in 2 days arrive with damage sent to me. I think Im gonna have to send a tutorial on how to pack items to everyone I buy from now just to be sure they understand how to do it.

I agree that there is problems with the feedback system, but as a buyer if I win the auction or buy it now and pay immediately or within the requested time frame what negative feedback can you fairly leave me? I've completed my end as the seller required, I paid the price for the item and shipping within a timely manner. As I understand it the seller can leave negative feedback if the item hasn't been payed for, but I could be wrong on that. It seems like sellers are always the ones complaining about non paying buyers, what about the sellers who over charge on shipping?

I see what the OP was saying and side with him.

I'm sorry but I still think it's the sellers responsibility to be knowledgable on shipping prices if they don't want to pay out of their pockets for the promised service. Who's responsible for it otherwise? I've bought stuff from JK-27 before off this forum, awesome seller who knows what he's doing and knows what stuff will cost him even before he starts up a for sale thread.

I can see it now, ebay reacts to problems like this by starting their own shipping company and charges shipping prices to the buyer on the sellers behalf. As much as we all hate what ebay has turned into they are only reacting to stupid people not looking after their own stuff.

I see your point, but perhaps we are drilling down too far in terms of the OP's problem here!
i.e. It seems that his seller has made a mistake with his shipping estimate, and has tried to make good by sending it by slower post for the same cost. Yes, he should have run this past the buyer first - but should he be punished by NEGATIVE feedback for this? I'm still not so sure.

I see your point, but perhaps we are drilling down too far in terms of the OP's problem here!
i.e. It seems that his seller has made a mistake with his shipping estimate, and has tried to make good by sending it by slower post for the same cost. Yes, he should have run this past the buyer first - but should he be punished by NEGATIVE feedback for this? I'm still not so sure.

Oh your right, this has gone way to deep.

But I feel the seller should know the costs of each shipping service he is offering and if the buyer selects that option and pays it should be expected. But maybe neg feedback is a touch to far.

On a similar note but not to do with ebay I ordered a new watch and paid for 3 day shipping. I ordered it Tuesday morning at 6am, 8am where the store is located. The store didn't print a shipping label till 9pm Tuesday night so nothing happens that day, then Canada Post comes and picks up the package past the cutoff time Wednesday so again nothing happens Wednesday other than a pickup. The delivery date has now been pushed to Tuesday, not really 3 day shipping anymore is it. This is maybe where my anger comes from on this right now, and no mine is not crossing the border. I was planning on using this watch this weekend for a swim workout(it's a swimming watch) but now can't and I paid extra for 3 day shipping when 7 day was free.

I understand that you are frustrated but I don't agree with everything you say. As others have pointed out, you're not dealing (I assume) with a shop or professional business, you're dealing with a member of the public who is selling stuff they own. Therefore, even though they could have handled this differently and in a more professional manner I don't think it should be expected. As they aren't a business it's not that easy to keep yourself up to date with changes in postage charges when you also have to hold down a job and what ever else is going on his life. As an eBay seller I myself know how hard it is to keep yourself up to date with all the policy changes from eBay, postage charges etc, it's not easy to do if it is not the focus of your life. That's why there are business solely dedicated to selling on eBay, because it needs that kind of dedication sometimes. There has definitely been a cultural shift from eBay being a site where people sold second hand goods (when it started out) to businesses now using it as shop front and the public have shifted their expectations from dealing with 'Joe Public' to dealing with a professional business/store, even though the seller base is still predominantly 'Joe Public' and that is who you are likely dealing with.

Re: feedback, it is at discretion, he doesn't have to or need to leave you feedback. I myself do leave feedback for buyers once they've paid but I know other sellers wait until they have received feedback before leaving feedback for a buyer. There is no right and wrong way for when feedback should be left, if at all, it is at discretion, there's nothing unprofessional about that.

If you want to leave him a negative that's up to you.

It actually is an eBay shop it turns out, they sell quite a bit. not a chain shop or anything but a boutique store of sorts

We need to look at this from different points of view. Each poster on this thread is entitled to their opinion. I can see from each one how they feel. First off if you buy something off Ebay, prior to your bid or purchase, just a bit of research should go into looking over the seller, feedback, completed listings, item description, shipping etc. I have noticed several times a seller listing an item with a shipping fee I know is more then what its worth. For example, pair of o matter Oakleys, no box. Seller asks $8 to ship parcel post. Now I have messaged sellers several times and said they can place it in a padded envelope, and ship it first class for $1.80. And they can still make a little money, but my item wont take 10 days. This shows the seller I know what the charge is going to be, and I am just requesting a quicker ship. 99% say no problem.

The major problem is sellers who put in their auction "expedited" shipping not realizing what it means or figure this will attract buyers. If the auction says priority, ship it priority. If the seller is NEW at Ebay then I can see his mistake. Now take a seller with 100+ feedbacks, which are mostly sales feedbacks not purchase feedbacks, its important to recognize the difference here as to their selling experience versus buying experience, which can determine whether you buy from them or not.

Now something alot of us are guilty on whether we recognize it or not. BUYING IN HASTE...... How many times have we spotted a deal, for a buy it now or a bid auction with a short time left, and didn't read everything. What did we miss........ Shipping cost? Overseas seller? (takes forever for item to arrive) Type of shipping? When they plan on shipping? Poor feedback? I could go on and on. The point is did we cover our own a$$ and make sure this is a good purchase. Did we message them and ask questions? How about returns for refund? We as a consumer should research before buying, so we can at least have our ducks in a row.

I have had my share of researching sellers as most of you know. I sell also and I charge a fair price on shipping. I will avoid a sellers item, no matter what it is if there is something that makes me think twice about a purchase. I have also caught sellers outright lying when they ship an item to, especially when they dont use the online shipping system, and go to the post office 7 days later after the sale. THE DATE IS ON THE LABEL FOR PETES SAKE!!!!!!

As for feedback, I have left VERY few negative feedbacks as long as I have been on Ebay. Because I do alot of research first, if I find something that is inconsistent after the purchase was made, I try to reconcile it with the seller. If that doesnt work there are options, we know what they are, PAypal claims, etc. Now if its a shipping issue and only a shipping issue does that really constitute, negative feedback? Maybe neutral with a clear explanation. Or none at all. Sometime NEW seller message me requesting feedback, and I tell them did they earn it based on the issue or not. You decide.....

How we react to minor issue truly can define who we are and how we handle things. Just remember to do research first, so you can at least have some knowledge what what you are getting into.....

Just my 2 cents.........

Back