• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

That EBay Postage Rip-off Just Happened To Me

Chop it sounds to me like you were fed up with the politics of ebay, correct? You knew what was going on and were a fair seller looking to be treated fairly, I'm assuming all Thedutchman wanted is what he agreed to pay for and was promised from them seller. The seller did not provide that and as such the buyer feels he should leave feedback accordingly. He's not lying about his experience, he's not dinging stars which will hurt the seller without cause either.

Chop you were one of the minority's on ebay, the good sellers, and they are dying out because of bad buyers and ebays rules. I'd say you and and JK-27 are very similar and I've read what's he's had to say as well and understand where good guys like you are coming from and it gets ruined by a douche.

Yes, to a degree. Also the shear fact that the fees are out of this world and it isn't worth the added headache they can hold you hostage literally at any time. You can't setup a merchant account without them processing through their gateway, you can't have a say in anything unless you can prove 100% that the person was being retaliatory in any way, and you get lucky enough to be raped badly for service you bring to ebay. It's actually pretty scary. I paid a crapload in return postage and fees because a lot of the international buyers (BRAZIL being the worst offender), would refuse a package because they didn't want to pay fees on their end. Had a watch destined for Russia come back because it was over the allowed declared value of $100 for jewelry so customs refused it. Cost me $45 to send it, $76 to receive it back, a negative, loss of 20% power seller final value fee discount, and the actual listing and closing fees...And to boot, they now charge a final value fee on shipping charges...So now, charging less than actual because I didn't include gas, time, supplies, etc in my shipping charges, I now lose an additional percentage because ebay feels that it is justified. So if anyone wants a more clear understanding, feel free to ask how ebay TRULY works. It is really NOT in any way shape or form, a seller's safe haven or even seller friendly environment. I was a seller for 12 years!! Not any longer...Closed up shop and stopped paying literally THOUSANDS in fees monthly.

Sorry if this went off track, but people really should know the truth about ebay and how they are or are not protected. They welcome what is called buyer's remorse...How so? It's called SNAD in seller's lingo. Seriously Not As Described. You caught crap from your spouse for spending too much, SNAD. You found one cheaper (always happens) SNAD, you need the money for an unforeseen expense SNAD...Just file it with paypal within your 21 days or whatever and you win!! No questions asked, really. There was a tiny little mark, doesn't matter if it is true or not, ebay doesn't require proof at all. NONE.

Here's an example and trust me, I am still fuming over this one...Sold my son's paintball gun on ebay, mind you my friends at the time owned a shop...Had a video link of the gun working 100% with chrono readings and all. Buyer was a shop, who I late found out the very expensive way, butchers guns and re-sells. Bought my item, filed a claim of it not working on the 21st day (I was at freakin Disneyland that day) claiming the board to not function and the gun not work. Board has a lifetime warranty so no issue there. Claimed the electronic eyes didn't work as well which was BS. I said return the gun for a full refund which clearly couldn't happen. But the plot thickens. I look at her history of sales. Had the gun up on ebay at the time of claim. Also, had sold it!!! prior to claiming again me but lost money?? How was this? Then after, I see it parted out. Circuit board, barrel, grips, etc. All pieced out. What she did was file a claim for $76 in claimed damaged parts, but when the figures were tallied, it was the money she lost against the price she paid for the item. I refunded the cost of the eyes to be replaced ($21) figuring maybe just maybe the carrier damaged it. So after all this, I get negative regardless...So you see, ebay is a scary place to do business and yeah, I was rare, but more so becoming extinct because ebay has NO seller protection regardless of what the policy states.

Again, not to hijack. I am sure he has a legitimate complaint because regardless of rate hikes, seller should have at least contacted him. I never painted anyone red (seller term again) unless I absolutely had to. If you got your item and were satisfied with it but the service sucked, neutral. If you got it and everything sucked and the seller was rude, RED baby RED...

This pic is inserted to hijack this thread and lighten everybody's mood a little. Sorry if you don't like it, but I couldn't find Daffy Duck tugging it.

woooo whooooo!!!! hijack more please lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from experience, putting something in a padded envelope instead of a box is a bad idea. It should only take getting burned with damaged merchandise once to realize its not worth the risk. You will also have no recourse as you asked him to ship it this way.

On another note I have to agree with the Dr. Ebay sucks now days but.... its partialy how I make a living so like a big boy, I deal with it.

to be honest, first class is usually faster than parcel post, and priority is usually the same cost or close....lol just saying...and yeah, it was how I made a living for a while, but the fees, now being taxed!!!, and nonsense just didn't pay off.

Thank you for the kind words jfiori, much appreciated. You, like I and Dr. Chop, have the intelligence and foresight to do things correctly to the benefit of both buyer and seller. As Herbs said though, I think most on eBay do not, unfortunately.

Dutchman - I am definitely not calling you 'whiney', I don't think anyone else was either. I was just trying to highlight things from a sellers point of view, as there are always two sides to every story.

Bought two pair on feebay, the guy charged $15 for priority which for a large box is about right but, he crams two pair of dogs in a small flat rate box that cost him $4.

Those Indy 500 pits that I won, guy charged $15 for shipping, fair for first class or priority but he is sending package services (?) which I think is parcel post so, it will be nearly 2 weeks from the time I won to the time I receive.

Sellers do bend over backwards for buyers and most try to do their best to accommodate. Leaving negative feedback should be an absolute last resort such as being completely ripped off. The prices of shipping has increased dramatically at the turn of the new year and it is tough to keep up with the often changing rates. Priority mail international is not that slow anyhow and if he sent them quickly and has provided you with great service thus far, then a negative is UN-warranted IMO. I am both a buyer and seller on the bay and have seen both sides of things. If buyers knew exactly what sellers go through, they would definitely see things in a whole new perspective

Sellers do bend over backwards for buyers and most try to do their best to accommodate. Leaving negative feedback should be an absolute last resort such as being completely ripped off. The prices of shipping has increased dramatically at the turn of the new year and it is tough to keep up with the often changing rates. Priority mail international is not that slow anyhow and if he sent them quickly and has provided you with great service thus far, then a negative is UN-warranted IMO. I am both a buyer and seller on the bay and have seen both sides of things. If buyers knew exactly what sellers go through, they would definitely see things in a whole new perspective

Yeah but those aren't the sellers that are being discussed here... The crappy ones who charge a flat rate of $20 to ship in a $6 flat rate box or even less are the ones that are being hosed. I have bought and sold on eBay and been burned on both ends and I no longer sell on eBay, only buy because of it...

really I dont see what the difference is on how you split it up if you know up front what the total cost... WHO CARES!

Yeah, for sure. If you're hit with an extra $20 after because the seller gives you a line about how he miscalculated shipping that's one thing, but to win an item for $100 with $20 shipping you know you're paying $120.

Latest Posts

Back