• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The beginning?

Soulfulfrog

みんなに優しく
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Georgetown, ON.
This is a question or two on how things began here. I've looked throughout old threads and have had a hard time finding anything on how the forum began. Who were the first members? Who created it and Honestly who do we need to be greatful to.

For me this has become a place to meet friends and fellow enthusiasts that love the brand as much as I do. My apologies if there is a thread already but I couldn't find one. If anyone here can help me with some history on the forum I think it would be interesting to read. Background is always nice to know.

I'm reletively new here about 8 months give or take. I looked through everywhere on here. Old and new threads and I've only come up with 2011 or so being the first posts. Most of those members are gone now @Oakleynerd has been around for a long while perhaps he can help.

This is a question or two on how things began here. I've looked throughout old threads and have had a hard time finding anything on how the forum began. Who were the first members? Who created it and Honestly who do we need to be greatful to.

For me this has become a place to meet friends and fellow enthusiasts that love the brand as much as I do. My apologies if there is a thread already but I couldn't find one. If anyone here can help me with some history on the forum I think it would be interesting to read. Background is always nice to know.

Interesting Question:

Yes - It was I, who started the forum! :)

Started in 2011 - I was looking for some info on Oakleys (just replacement parts), but couldn't find anything, anywhere. Searches led no where, and it seemed like people were mainly using the old Facebook format to talk about Oakleys, but it was terrible.

I began thinking why isn't there a forum? I found a few that were outdated, unmaintained etc. So I said - What the heck!

The forum started on a shared forum platform i.e OakleyForum.somewebsite.com., within a week I purchased the domain name, and within 2 I had transferred to our own hosting.

As for growth - It started with just me, I posted up some questions under this account and I think an Admin account, and just started sharing the links, sending it around to people who were interested etc. Within the first month we had 100 members, all chatting. I remember in those days, I read every single post...and responded to almost every single one. Now we get 500-1000 every day...somehow @OakleyFrankFMJ can still keep up ;).

That's a brief history - feel free to ask any follow-up questions you're wondering.

Interesting Question:

Started in 2011 - I was looking for some info on Oakleys (just replacement parts), but couldn't find anything, anywhere. Searches led no where, and it seemed like people were mainly using the old Facebook format to talk about Oakleys, but it was terrible.

I began thinking why isn't there a forum? I found a few that were outdated, unmaintained etc. So I said - What the heck!

The forum started on a shared forum platform i.e OakleyForum.somewebsite.com., within a week I purchased the domain name, and within 2 I had transferred to our own hosting.

As for growth - It started with just me, I posted up some questions under this account and I think an Admin account, and just started sharing the links, sending it around to people who were interested etc. Within the first month we had 100 members, all chatting. I remember in those days, I read every single post...and responded to almost every single one. Now we get 500-1000 every day...somehow @OakleyFrankFMJ can still keep up ;).

That's a brief history - feel free to ask any follow-up questions you're wondering.
Thank you for the insight into how it all came to be and more importantly thank you for creating a great place to gather to share the passion.

For me personally if it weren't for this forum my desire to collect (as much as I do) would be severely diminished. It's being able to chat, get to know and even meet fellow enthusiasts that keeps me involved in such a high level. I've truly enjoyed my years around here and met some fantastic people.

Thank you to @OakleyBoss for it all and to the many members I've had the opportunity to deal with for making it all enjoyable.

Interesting Question:

I thought it was you. What a great story and achievement.. do you feel the forum is where you want it to be? I personally joined to mainly buy oakleys buy soon found it was much more. The exchange is great but I'm really getting into the world of online chat. Especially when it come to the brand. Thanks for the great idea and the constant maintenance it must be to keep it flowing the way it has. Excellent idea and all mixed in with fantastic thinking and effort.

Back