• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Best Oakley Lens For Pilots?

Kaduku

Oakley Beginner
Hello everyone,

I have always wondered if there is a specific Oakley lens that would be great for pilots and flying. I do have a good amount of Oakley's and have even flown testing out different lenses (Actually got my private license testing out the Ice Iridium). I'd appreciate any feedback because I'm considering buying a pair of Custom Fuelcells with that lens.

Keep in mind that the lens CANNOT be polarized because the glass on the flight instruments are anti-glare and sometimes the canopies are polarized and there will be distortion.

I'm sure that this will help a lot of people in the aviation community that are tired of wearing Aviators :p

Thanks!

I did see a pilot in a video or photo related to the BP oil spill wearing what looked like fire lenses. If I find the picture or video again I'll post the link. I don't know if they were oakleys but you'd think they were since pilots need eye protection in case of a crash.

Yeah, I've taken a liking to the fire iridium when flying and I even saw a Delta captain rocking them hahaha he even had a huge Oakley sticker on his flight bag. I'm probably gonna buy some split jackets and switch between lenses depending on weather conditions....and I need a reason to get a pair of em haha.

Although I don't fly myself, I would think an anti-reflective coating would be good. Sometimes I get a glare of my eyeball in the lenses I have without it. In a pinch, it might cause you to second guess things. Just a thought.

I'm not a pilot, but I could see fire (or anything with a very heavy iridium coating) creating some glare/reflection issues. A VR28 black iridium might work well. It has the contrast lens and what seems to be a lighter iridium coating.

Latest Posts

Back