• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Customize Your Oakley Thread...

xmetalx

Oakley Enthusiast
Hey,

I just got custom cut lenses done for my Romeo1s and I appreciate the help from the folks on this board. It definitely made the process a lot easier and I was thinking that there are tons of people with the same kinds of questions I had and nowhere to go to ask them. Even on this forum I had to jump around on a few different threads to get answers.

So I figured I'd create a thread where people could go to ask any questions on customizing or custom cutting Oakley sunglasses. Maybe this could be pinned? I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there who'd love to have a thread to come to for these kinds of questions (esp folks who have models that are no longer supported.)

Btw, X-metal + Romeo1 + Emerald = Win.

which model of lenses did you use to get the emerald? did you cut them yourself ala DIY? and that combo sounds sick! well done!

which model of lenses did you use to get the emerald? did you cut them yourself ala DIY? and that combo sounds sick! well done!
Thanks.

It took me a while to find an Optometrist who was willing to cut it for me at a decent price. Lensecrafters (in Canada) wanted 300 bucks. I believe they said that it would be cut by Oakley for that price but I'm not sure if that was in fact the case. I found a designer sunglass place that wanted 400... absolutely ludicrous. I went on Ebay and there's a guy who cuts them for 200 bucks... I still felt it was too much.

So, I looked up local Optometrists who sold Oakley products and found a couple. The first guy wasn't willing to cut the lense... not sure why. The second guy I went to was more than happy to do it and said it would be easy. He told me that I could look at lenses like Jawbone and Pitbull that would probably work. The curve had to be similar and the size had to be bigger.

I did some research and I really wanted Chrome lenses. The best match I could find was the Plaintiff. So I went to the local Oakley store and tried to get some extra Chrome lenses... they weren't in stock and are on backorder. As it turned out though, Plaintiff (despite not being advertized on the Oakley website) apparently has Emerald lenses that you can order for it. I looked at them in the store and bought them on the spot. Cost me about 65 bucks. The Optometrist charged me 35... so with taxes it probably cost me a little over 100 bucks.

I went back to the optometrist and dropped them off yesterday afternoon. They were ready this morning.

A couple of things to note here if you're thinking of doing this:

1. I have heard that it's easy to break the lenses when they're being cut. I told the optometrist that I wouldn't hold him responsible if this happened. If anything went wrong, it was on me.

2. If you're looking for an optometrist to do this, search those that are Oakley dealers first. You might be able to order the lenses directly through them and maybe save a bit of cash or at least give the optometrist a little extra profit. My Optometrist didn't sell the Plaintiff and when I saw the Emerald, I thought they were sick so I bought them on the spot otherwise I would've gone through him.

3. Why doesn't Oakley advertise the Plaintiff in Emerald? Strange...

4. I plan on getting a second set of lenses cut for this frame... Chrome. Guess I'll have to wait for them to be in stock first though. Chrome just looks awesome, I don't know why Oakley doesn't have it for more of its' product. A polished Juliet with Chrome (which I have) would be amazing.

5. I have a photo that I can post but I'm not sure how to attach it here. Let me know and I'll post.

okay let try and address each point you have made dude. =)

1) yeah for sure i have heard of people that have cut lenses themselves, using Dremel tools and the like. not that i'll ever have the guts to try it myself. ha! yeah i do know of optometrists who will cut lenses, just haven't found one in my area/country that will do it for a reasonable price. and as you say, it's hit and miss with the little things, like lens curvature etc.

2) i have never heard of the Plaintiff in emerald. wow. lucky you that you stumbled upon it. =)

3) and yes, chrome in a polished juliet would be sick as! would love to see the finished product! i just got my first ever pair of xmetals, the japan juliets, and i must say, they are really cutting edge Oakley products. wow. starting to look around a bit for more xmetal stuff. within reason of coz. not gonna be blowing 600+ for a ruby penny etc. ha!

4) i found the easiest way to upload photos here is to host the photos on an photo-sharing site eg: imageshack and paste the url in the Reply section.

Well, I just put the photo as my avatar so you can see it there. I don't have a photobucket account and don't feel like getting one. If there's a way to attach an image I'll give a bigger shot but the avatar will give you an idea of what it looks like.

As for do it yourself, I wasn't brave enough either but here is a step by step guide from O-Review: http://www.o-review.com/images/Articles/CustomOakleyLensCutting101.pdf

Good luck finding a cheap optometrist. Just do some research and you'll probably find somebody local. I'd probably look for a smaller shop that sells Oakley.

emerald is a custom color for the plaintiff, they also have ice, fire, ruby, and other colors not offered in the prebuilt stuff. they should be online in the custom section. as for your pic question:

upload photo
now your pic will be posted

Also this is free! and u dont need an account either!

In regards to x-metal unobtanium (nosebombs, templeshocks, ear sox) swaps that can be done, I'm cutting and pasting from another thread as it is great info for those who are restoring/customizing older models:

Ok, here is a breakdown on just a few of the common swaps that can be done, if you need something specific just ask.......

Juliet earsocks fit: Juliet, Xmetal XX, Romeo, Penny, Mars
Juliet temple shocks fit: Juliet, Xmetal XX, Romeo, Mars
Juliet nose bombs fit: Juliet, X squared

Xmetal XX Earsocks fit: Xmetal XX, Juliet, Romeo, Penny, Mars
Xmetal XX temple shocks fit: Xmetal XX, Juliet, Romeo, Mars
Xmetal XX nose bombs fit: Xmetal XX

Romeo 1 nose bombs fit: Romeo 1 and Mars
Romeo 1 earsocks fit: Romeo 1, Juliet, Xmetal XX, Penny, Mars
Romeo 1 temple shocks fit: Romeo 1, Juliet, Xmetal XX, Mars

Romeo 2 Earsocks, temple shocks, and nose bombs fit: Only fit Romeo 2

Penny earsocks fit: Penny, Juliet, Xmetal XX, Romeo 1, Mars
Penny nosebombs fit: Penny

Half X earsocks fit: Half X

X squared earsocks fit: X squared
Xsquared nose bombs fit: X squared, Juliet
X squared tempe shocks fit: X squared

emerald is a custom color for the plaintiff, they also have ice, fire, ruby, and other colors not offered in the prebuilt stuff. they should be online in the custom section. as for your pic question:

Go to ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
upload photo
copy the FORUM CODE
paste it into here
now your pic will be posted

Also this is free! and u dont need an account either!
Cool. A few things here:

1. I don't see Plaintiff as being customizable on the website. You're saying they customize it at the store only?
2. I will check this out and try to paste it here.
3. What do you think about making this thread a sticky?

Here goes my attempt at pasting the photo. Oakley Romeo1 X-Metal Emerald Custom DIY:

Edit: Nice, it worked! Photo's a little dark but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back