• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The GOLDjinx Project

Thanks for the good reviews chaps.
(And thanks to Jono and Oakley_Sight for the pre-project tips.)

The end result is a solid-looking gold with matte finish. The lens is Oakley's "Dark Bronze".
The light on the kitchen worktop makes the frame look like a gold-fade effect in the pics, but I'm not that good an artist! It is actually a solid colour right around the frame.

The process -

1) I used a 220 grade wet&dry pad to veeerrry lightly prepare the frame. Interestingly, the icon very easily wiped to its original chrome finish - the white paint on it was really thin.
2) For a base coat I used a Tamiya gold polycarbonate spray paint. I used this as it has a matte finish for the next coat to stick to, and polycarb paint is more flexible than other model paints.
3) For the main colour, I used a Plasti-Kote metallic gold spray paint. This looked absolutely awesome - but I knew the effect would end up duller when I had to put the clear lacquer on to seal the paint on (otherwise it would smudge, rub off or be susceptible to finger marks).
4) I figured the clear lacquer also needed to be polycarbonate paint, to seal the metallic between two flexible paint coats. Problem is that I couldn't find any Gloss Clear in polycarb - so I had to use Flat Clear. This worked well as a seal, but took away the fierce metallic finish, so I was a bit disappointed at that.

I might just keep the GOLDjinx as a display piece. But then, I am not a display kinda guy - so maybe not!
I'm quite keen to do a CHROMEjinx project now, so perhaps I'll end up stripping this frame back to white, or just buying another Hijinx frame for that - I don't know.

H.

perfect instruction for everybody, to start a own project!
many thanks. . .

As jono told me, patience is the key. Do not over-spray, as the paint will run. And leave plenty of time between coats.

I also set up a simple makeshift rig in my garage for the spraying, which held the frame airborne by a thread at the nose bridge, for ease of all-round spray access.

H.

if i ever figure out how to maintain the metallic shiny finish, i'll definitely let you know dude. =) it's a problem i still haven't cracked yet. damn!

From one modder to another...WELL DONE!!!!!!! I must say you took your time and did it right.... Props to you!!!!!

Back