• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Great Mars Debate

qtrain23

The Printing Pundit
Premium Member
United States
So as metal heads know, ruby and emerald mars are very difficult to find. We also know that all regular mars have a serial of M******. My question to you is:

If you have a regular mars, that any individual put ruby it emerald Oakley lenses in, is it any less of a pair because it wasn't done by Oakley? The pair is 100% identical, just with the wrong box.

In my opinion the ultimate options for the five official part coded Mars releases would be to have them complete, in mint condition, as produced with serial numbers matching the boxes (except Ruby 04-107 which I understand were not issued as a box match). It is hard to contemplate how you could change lenses or alter these in some way that is personal, and increase the value or demand for such individual pair. It could be considered though that the ice lens which was available separately could be installed in an original as an alternative, I have done this myself with a custom X Metal Crater. Owners of original Ruby or Emerald lens pairs would surely keep them as they were issued, thus preserving the integrity and obvious rarity of the releases as Oakley had intended. If you have a pair that is "100% identical, just with the wrong box", then it is not identical.

i do not think it is any less of a pair but it depends if you are a collector of the product or a collector of labels. i mean a collector putting a ruby or emerald lens into a random x metal frame is pretty much what oakley did. they just took frames meant for the black iridium mars and made the emerald and ruby mars. it is not like they restarted the serial numbering or anything. also there are instances where a buyer purchased from an opd and got the wrong box even though the combo was put together by oakley itself. does that mean it is any less of a pair because the buyer was given the wrong box? only if you are a collector of labels would anyone say it is less of a pair.

Since most people don't see my collection (double wide in my bedroom), the only person that appreciates the display is me. If I looked at a pair every day and knew it was not a factory original and an imposter, I would not be happy with that. I like hunting the originals.

Think of it this way: would painting a Frogskin be the same as a Petterson?

So as metal heads know, ruby and emerald mars are very difficult to find. We also know that all regular mars have a serial of M******. My question to you is:

If you have a regular mars, that any individual put ruby it emerald Oakley lenses in, is it any less of a pair because it wasn't done by Oakley? The pair is 100% identical, just with the wrong box.

That's not the same. Those were individually created, numbered, packaged, and distributed.

What's the difference? The pair is 100% identical (assuming a perfect paint job), but doesn't have the right box either. Just as unauthentic. Passing one thing off as another doesn't do the rare item collecting any justice. No hate towards you, just not my thing to opt for compensatory consumption.

i think qtrain23 is right. it is closer to putting a fire lens in an emerald overthetop. there already exists a fmj+ - fire ott. same difference. some may care the fmj frame did not come with fire but to me there is no difference.

i think qtrain23 is right. it is closer to putting a fire lens in an emerald overthetop. there already exists a fmj+ - fire ott. same difference. some may care the fmj frame did not come with fire but to me there is no difference.

This. Thanks for the comparison

Knowing where this question came from...

If I wanted a shelf with ruby, emerald, and black lenses on it, then you could buy three mars and replace the lenses. If you find OEM lenses, then the glasses are exactly like the ones Oakley made. So from that point I agree.

For me, I want to collect the whole product line. Juliet has too many models, XX and Romeo aren't overly difficult. Penny takes some time and money, but I've done that. I have no interest in X-Squared or Half-X, so that leaves Mars. Three are easy to find, 4 aren't. If I want one of each model, and just make the models I can't find out of spare parts, I'll feel like I cheated. That make sense?

There is also the value aspect. If the box proving that it is a factory release colorway makes it more valuable now, that will only make more of a difference in the future.

There is also the value aspect. If the box proving that it is a factory release colorway makes it more valuable now, that will only make more of a difference in the future.

Or at least you can hope it will

I agree that it depends on what you're shooting for as a collector. Personally, I don't collect packaging.

Latest Posts

Back