• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The infamous X-Metal finish...

DrtyHarry

Oakley Expert
I have a question about this finish. It is by far my favorite, and am going to have the X-Man redo some of my other glasses in this finish. I have some frames that are not yet in need of a complete refinish...they only have some VERY small marks on them. Is there something I can use/do to the micro marks to cover them up until the time comes to have the entire frame refinished? I just want to send them out to be refinished when they REALLY need to be refinished. Just something that will cover it up a bit. I thought about maybe a dark grey piece of a charcoal pencil? Just for temporary. Any thoughts or ideas? Or just deal with it and pay no mind (which is VERY HARD) until the time comes to send them off to be totally refinished? THANKS!!

Harry

So, for me, I LOVE the scratches in my xmetal finished pairs. They are like little scars, make them look battle damaged or something. I dunno, just something about that finish when it gets a few scratches makes me think it looks even more awesome. Having said that, I can personally vouch for @THE X-MAN and his amazing work. Turn around time can't be beat and he seriously makes then look brand spankin new. If the scratches bother you then you already know the man to send them to :) Hopefully the other folks on the forum have some ideas on cover up for scratches.

Last edited:
So, for me, I LOVE the scratches in my xmetals finished pairs. They are like little scars, make them look battle damaged or something. I dunno, just something about that finish when it gets a few scratches makes me think it looks even more awesome. Having said that, I can personally vouch for @THE X-MAN and his amazing work. Turn around time can't be beat and he seriously makes then look brand spankin new. If the scratches bother you then you already know the man to send them to :) Hopefully the other folks on the forum have some ideas on cover up for scratches.
Yeah... I have some G1 J serials with casting marks and a few scratches/nicks and I feel it add character for an original all OEM frame...

I don't look at my glasses as red badges of courage or battle scars, when I wear my glasses...I wear them to look nice and sharp. Hell...the main reason why I collect so many of the same style of frames is to have the lenses, frame finish, and rubbers to match whatever it is that I happen to be wearing. For example, if I am wearing my black with red Prada shoe/sneaker with my Under Armor pants that are black with red stripes along with an Under Armor (yes...I love Under Armor products) shirt and red/black sweat jacket...I will want to wear my black Pennys or black Julies with red lenses and red LG rubber pieces. I know I know...some may call that a bit excessive. But that's how I am. I will most certainly be sending the X-Man some of my sunnys to work on. I asked him some questions but never heard back from him. Maybe you guys can help answer.

In terms of the Penny...does all he do is tighten the bridge and do a refinish? Or is it possible for him to strengthen the springs in the arms? I have one Penny that has "stronger" arms than the other. I dono..

I don't look at my glasses as red badges of courage or battle scars, when I wear my glasses...I wear them to look nice and sharp. Hell...the main reason why I collect so many of the same style of frames is to have the lenses, frame finish, and rubbers to match whatever it is that I happen to be wearing. For example, if I am wearing my black with red Prada shoe/sneaker with my Under Armor pants that are black with red stripes along with an Under Armor (yes...I love Under Armor products) shirt and red/black sweat jacket...I will want to wear my black Pennys or black Julies with red lenses and red LG rubber pieces. I know I know...some may call that a bit excessive. But that's how I am. I will most certainly be sending the X-Man some of my sunnys to work on. I asked him some questions but never heard back from him. Maybe you guys can help answer.

In terms of the Penny...does all he do is tighten the bridge and do a refinish? Or is it possible for him to strengthen the springs in the arms? I have one Penny that has "stronger" arms than the other. I dono..
I actually asked him about the penny springs not too long ago. I have one where one arm opens up a lot further than the other. I went digging on the forum and found that was a normal variant secondary to the way they were made. He told me he wouldn't mess with the springs though... So unless he tells you something different that is definitely not part of his penny refinishing process.

Penny springs can be tuned but they're a pain to put back together especially if its tuned beyond OEM tightness. It won't affect how wide the arms swing open, but only how tight/loose the springs would activate

Latest Posts

Back