• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Next HDO 3D Gascan...

I don't know if it's about how much money a film will bring in, even though it makes financial sense. I have yet to use my Tron 3D Gascans for any movie and have yet to see anyone in a theater use any Oakley 3DO frames.

I think the reason Oakley decided to make the Tron and Transformers edition 3D Gascans is because there's a cult following for each of the franchises. Avatar was a great movie as far as special effects go, but the story was done before (Pocahontas meets Dances with Wolves). I highly doubt Avatar (as a franchise) will become anything close to what Tron and Transformers is currently.

Harry Potter would be hilarious, but i doubt teenagers would blow that kind of money on high end 3D glasses.

I think it'd be really cool if they did a general "Marvel" themed frame instead of a specific movie like, the Avengers or Spider-man. Aside from Cyclops wearing Juliets and the custom visors, the Blade movies made use of Oakley frames as well and is also a Marvel story.

I don't know man, at the rate they are ruining/dumbing down franchises hardly any will be left in a few years. I don't know if anyone here watched Star Trek TNG but in the episode "Neutral Zone" they said television died out. Now we know why, it's nothing but bullshit most of the time. The only reality shows worth anything are Top Gear and Pawn Stars plus one or two other history channel shows. I'm talking about both versions of Top Gear.

Dark Knight Rises isn't being filmed in 3D, Christopher Nolan has made that a big point that he wants to avoid 3D in his Batman movies.

Too bad because a Dark Knight inspired 3D Gascan would probably be pretty badass...
That would seriously be one incredibly frame, i wonder what the artwork would be? albeit a bit toned down since the 3D Gascan theme's have been really mellow.
Still it's something to dream about.

if have to fit the image they have already started, transformers and tron are both very high budget action movies based on visual effects, i dont think spiderman really fits that criteria

I couldnt disagree more. Spiderman is typically high budget with visual effects. Imagine the web shoot out of his hand coming right at u!.

I couldnt disagree more. Spiderman is typically high budget with visual effects. Imagine the web shoot out of his hand coming right at u!.

they are high budget with visual effects, but the visual effects arnt what make the movie, for example, transformers, michael bay knows that his money is made on putting a movie with explosions and pretty effects out in the summer so people go for the action and the air conditioning, and the first tron was made with the best visual effects they had at the time (not saying much compared to today) and that made the movie and the second one was no different, yes spiderman has the visual effects, but its not what makes the movie.

I think it has more to do with which film is happy to pimp itself out the most. Tron & Transformers were both movie franchises that exploited product placement/marketing opportunities (as well as being in 3D). Marvel produced movies don't need the kind of product placement $$$ to fund their movies.

So clearly no one gave TinTin a hope in hell of being the next 3D Gascan.

Back