• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The ocean smoked my leneses

Jhud

Oakley Beginner
I’ve got factory gold polarized lenses in my good XSs . Well I got them wet and must have not cleaned them good. Sat them beside my cooler. Two days later I pick them up and the inside is flaking off.
That’s some BS.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Ya unfortunately Oakley Lenses do not hold up to salt water very good at all. Personally I don’t own any but I know a lot of commercial and rec fishermen and they all wear costa. If you’re spending a lot of time at or on the ocean they might be your best bet as the lenses are made of glass. Don’t get the wrong idea guys I’m still a die hard Oakley and ford guy hahaha

I’m not on the salt that much. If I had to sacrifice some lenses due to saline environment id rather it be some linegear

you coasters will learn sooner or later. No hurricanes, floods, tornadoes or jacked up oakleys out here

Ya unfortunately Oakley Lenses do not hold up to salt water very good at all. Personally I don’t own any but I know a lot of commercial and rec fishermen and they all wear costa. If you’re spending a lot of time at or on the ocean they might be your best bet as the lenses are made of glass. Don’t get the wrong idea guys I’m still a die hard Oakley and ford guy hahaha

Is this just Oakley or all mirrored lenses? My understanding was that the mirror effect is a metal coating and that non iridium lenses would be a much better choice near salt water.

I’ve had iridium coating flake off other aftermarket lenses in like a month. I’m not positive but I imagine any polycarbonate lens would do it. Glass lenses would be best bet for salt water .

I’ve had iridium coating flake off other aftermarket lenses in like a month. I’m not positive but I imagine any polycarbonate lens would do it. Glass lenses would be best bet for salt water .

Glass lenses are coated too since glass isn’t naturally as UV resistant as polycarbonate. I have had a set of glass ones peel before too that were not mirrored, but I did replace them with mirrored lenses after wearing them for extended periods strained my eyes. I thought the strain was my reaction to the fact that they were polarized, but now I’m sure that it must have been the UV coat because no polarized lenses have bothered me since.

I will say I much prefer glass for it’s scratch resistance but that’s a moot point now that my only glass lenses are mirrored. The lenses I replaced appeared to have all coatings applied to the inside lens because I never developed a scratch on them.

Latest Posts

Back