• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Pit Boss Conundrum...CORRECT POLL And THREAD

You can have one pair on a desert island....you select

• Romeo

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Juliet

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • XX

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • X Squared

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Splice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plate

• Mag Switch

• Pit Boss

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (specify in post)

Votes: 8 30.8%

• Total voters

ucdavis4PT0gpa

I should Work at Oakley
Oceanside, Oregon
Okay....this has come up before I know but I have a renewed interest in it myself as I have recently expanded my collection and been able to get my hands on a number of pieces I've never had before and put them up against the Pit Boss. I titled this the conundrum because for some reason I struggle with keeping the Pit Boss in my collection...I don't know what it is. The design is excellent, the materials are top notch, the optics are among the best (if not THE best) Oakley has ever produced....but something is just, well....just not there for me. Maybe its the lack of colorful colorways, maybe its wanting for something more complex in the design (Splice is spliced, the Plate is plated, the Mags are made with Magnesium, the X Metals are well...what they are)...but whatever it is I love the piece....but I don't. So...weigh in, vote and discuss; where does the PB sit in the Oakley canon?

Now as for the poll...I struggled with what to include in the poll because, well, I would argue that the only fair comparison are models that are similar in aggressive design and tech and the line that most closely resembles the PB is the X Metal line, hence the poll being X Metal biased (it also reflects my own personal bias...hence other being included).

A really nice trophy piece but maybe too expensive to wear as sunnies (unless you're donald trump)?
As you mentioned they are bland in terms of colours
Some people mentioning the stems are too unpleasant for prolonged use

Keeping in mind who among us actually pays anywhere near retail for the PB? I've paid as little as $335 for a $600 pair which is 55% of retail and below the retail price of similarly outfitted X Metals. I have had many assert that the low to mid $300's is where they would value one of the 3 standard issue variants and I would tend to agree.

As for the discomfort issue, I've heard that and experienced it...and I've experienced it goes away after a few months of intermittent use. For all day use, the PB is WAY more comfortable than ANY X Metal in weight and fit...on par with smaller and lighter frames.

The blandness of the colorways is a big issue for me (I'm a flashy kind of sunglasses guy so that doesn't help)-I actually sold my Tron Pit Boss if you can believe that and turned around with those proceeds and used it to buy a Juliet AND a Matte Black/Titanium PB because I feel THAT colorway stands out the most due to the contrast. The Polished/Gunmetal even with the Tron accents...it just doesn't make the plates (which are a defining feature of the design) jump out enough.

You seem to be asking two questions then.

1) What would you wear on a desert island?
Assuming that it will be sunny all day every day, then you will want something lightweight for all day everyday use. Also, how the glasses look will be irrelevant as you are possibly there alone. Therefore it's all a question of lightweight comfort and performance, so something like a Zero, Conduct, or Conduct Squared would be the best choice. I'd go for the latter.

2) Our thoughts on the Pit Boss?
This has been covered elsewhere on the boards, and my view remains unchanged. I think the 'Elite' series is Oakley taking the p155.
Like they had a meeting and someone said "I wonder how much money collectors will really pay for our stuff?"

pit boss got my vote!!!

- they have polarized lenses
- nice large fit (covering my funny face)
- love the material mix (no gaskets)

Caia Koopman Ravishing for me !
Or, Conduct. I'd decide just before I was shipped off to the island!! Haha
Actually, can I just have two?? Haha

ROFL...couple responses already made me laugh...too true. I agree...how much can we push the price and still have a product move...though I think that's millstone product in the Lux controlled Oakley era. I also agree with Nerd when it comes to the simplicity of the design...no flex couplers no gaskets no washers...you pay your $335 to $350 for admission and you're done. No tune ups or other stuff in 10 years. Although.....if you wear a frame to death.....which would look better or at least wear the damage better? An X Metal or a O Matter PB?

Back