• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Polarized Myth

Batwolf

Double Team
Premium Member
Portland, OR
This is something I've been wanting to rant about for a long time that has been bugging me immensely.

Over the years, many sunglasses manufacturers high and low end praise the advantages of having polarized sunglasses. I'm not arguing that under the right situation polarized lenses are great, because they are. However it is the way these companies market them and make claims that bug me. Now what is polarization? Because through the use of a special UV filter, the lens will eliminate incoming glare from the sun and from general reflections. I could get scientific but I'm just gonna keep it simple. Here are some claims that I want to discuss relating to polarization.

"Polarized is better!" or "Polarized is the best."
This is one of my favorite quotes that makes me chuckle like a little schoolgirl. Polarized, just like anything else has it's time and place. Polarization has it's uses, however claiming that it's needed or is absolutely necessary all day everyday is 100% fabrication and couldn't be further from the truth. In situations of high glare and extremely bright sun they can definitely help but sometimes it has it's place and sometimes it doesn't.

"Polarized lenses are darker."
This is once again a stupid marketing ploy by inferior sunglass companies. In some instances yes, polarized lenses are darker but this is not always the case. Lens tint and polarization are two different things.

"Polarized lenses protect you better from UV light."
Best quote ever. I love the excellent marketing here, it could easily convince everyone that it's better if you heard it enough. This quote couldn't be further from the truth though. For some cheaper manufacturers, yes it might give you better protection but with Oakley you get 100% full protection regardless of what you choose.

"Mirrored lenses are polarized."
You can thank Ray Ban for this one. For years they have been using a mirrored coating on the inside of their polarized lenses. People, knowing Ray Ban's reputation would automatically assume that this was how polarization is done. However, Oakley doesn't follow this methodology and doesn't do this. Ray Ban uses layers for their polarization, but I will talk about that next. People think the same thing about the exterior coating too but as we all know, this isn't the case with Oakley.

"It's better to have layers of polarization for true protection."
Ah another gem. First off, putting layer upon layer of lens material might sound better, however simple logic would tell you that layers of material and glue is not good for your eyes. Thankfully Oakley injects their lenses while still in liquid form so it's inherent in the lens and doesn't distort clarity or cause eye strain.

"I need polarized lenses, I have sensitive eyes."
These companies have brain washed these people! Many times, people get lens tint, light transmission and polarization mixed up. Read the above quotes as examples of that. The truth is, if you have sensitive eyes polarization isn't always needed. Rather, getting a lens with a darker light transmission will benefit you better. Understanding these terms and how they affect your sunglasses and vision will better benefit the end user.

I hope this helps clear up some of the ridiculous claims people have been led to believe. I hate people that claim polarized is better when really they are just brainwashed with twisted facts that are completely false.

Well put... I believe this should be on Herbsley's award section. Or at the very least sticky of the year!!!!

yup, point in case - fire iridium polarised. a beautiful medium light lens (great for overcast weather), high-er light transmission, but the polarisation cuts all that glare off windshields and stuff while driving. beauty.

"I need polarized lenses, I have sensitive eyes."
These companies have brain washed these people! Many times, people get lens tint, light transmission and polarization mixed up. Read the above quotes as examples of that. The truth is, if you have sensitive eyes polarization isn't always needed. Rather, getting a lens with a darker light transmission will benefit you better. Understanding these terms and how they affect your sunglasses and vision will better benefit the end user.

I'm one of the people that say this. On a sunny day things like cars will glare with a intense spot of light. You can see the edges of car panels with a bright spot. I've had Black Iridium and Grey Oakley lenses and I'll get headaches, eye fatigue, and squint while outside.

VR28 Polarized? No headaches, but still get fatigue in bright light since the lenses are too lightly tinted. I don't leave the house without a pair of polarized Oakleys.

Being outside on a sunny day requires polarized lenses for me. If it's snowy out then the need is 10x as great.

Not to mention the amount of road glare that gets eliminated.

yup, point in case - fire iridium polarised. a beautiful medium light lens (great for overcast weather), high-er light transmission, but the polarisation cuts all that glare off windshields and stuff while driving. beauty.

Fire Pol is 10% transmission, same as Black Iridium and Ice Iridium...in my experience it works better on overcast days because its a contrast lens. And I agree with a previous post that polarized is better for those like me with highly sensitive eyes

I prefer non-polarized for flying, some aircraft instruments can get distorted with some polarized lenses because they are already anti-glare treated. Also I'm a bum and don't want to pay extra for polarized lenses for Oakley :p

I'm one of the people that say this. On a sunny day things like cars will glare with a intense spot of light. You can see the edges of car panels with a bright spot. I've had Black Iridium and Grey Oakley lenses and I'll get headaches, eye fatigue, and squint while outside.

VR28 Polarized? No headaches, but still get fatigue in bright light since the lenses are too lightly tinted. I don't leave the house without a pair of polarized Oakleys.

Being outside on a sunny day requires polarized lenses for me. If it's snowy out then the need is 10x as great.

Not to mention the amount of road glare that gets eliminated.

Be careful with this though, because polarized lenses reduce your ability to distinguish ice patches from snow

I do agree, on a sunny day, i need polarized lenses when I'm outside for more than an hour!

Back