• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The Rarest X METALS............

The X serial Ruby Juliets were classed as the first generation amongst collectors. The first 5000 I believe were what is known as the first release, which had the darkest ruby lenses produced but were changed later in their manufacturing. I believe silicone was involved with lens coating/backing somewhere. The lenses which followed were still very dark in comparison to today's ruby and had a lovely purple middle to them with little of the fire colour except towards the edges. This particular type in mint condition and complete with original box is still very collectable. Not perhaps quite as collectable as a Michael Jordan Romeo, but very collectable all the same. The J serial followed the X and is classed as the second generation, the lens being a lighter shade than the first gens, which continued as the x metal ruby production went on.
I hope this helps.

u just got one didn't u?

not sure how many exactly were made, but i have T001828

Is the gen 1 rarer than the gen 2 and 3?

I have a gen2 in really good condition. It's definitely a keeper! The serial number is much fainter than my x metal pair so I try not to touch it.

Is the gen 1 rarer than the gen 2 and 3?

I have a gen2 in really good condition. It's definitely a keeper! The serial number is much fainter than my x metal pair so I try not to touch it.
I wouldn't say gen 1 is rarer than the gen 2, but is harder to find in good condition as the original coatings were a little prone to wearing/fading. The same goes for the gen 1 plasma frames and the gen 1 tio2. It's all about condition really.

I wouldn't say gen 1 is rarer than the gen 2, but is harder to find in good condition as the original coatings were a little prone to wearing/fading. The same goes for the gen 1 plasma frames and the gen 1 tio2. It's all about condition really.

I've never seen another titanium/gold for sale since I got mine. They weren't advertised as that though, just "silver with brownish lenses " from memory!

I see a lot of plasma/ice for sale, is that the most common juliet?

For me it's a tough call between my ti/gold and x metal/ black. Think the ti gold edges it as my favourite as it was my 1st juliet, is relatively rare and a bit fancier looking than the x metal ones.

Juliet Brown = 400
Romeo 2.0 Gary Scelzi = 500
Juliet 24K = 750
X Squared 24K = 750
Juliet Carbon Finito Edition = 1000
Juliet Ichiro Carbon Polished = 1000
Juliet Corvette Team = 3000
Romeo 1 MJ = 5000

others that i can think of that are rare in mint condition...

Mars Leather - due to its leather deterioration over time
Mars with Emerald Iridium - SGH exclusive for a short time
Juliet Titanium 1st / 2nd Gen
Juliet Plasma 1st Gen - due to its discoloration and flaking
Romeo 2.0 Plasma - this was not re-released with Hydrophobic lens unlike the other colorways
XX Plasma - same reason as above
Juliet and XX TiO2 - as above
Juliet Ducati 1st Gen - X Metal frame before they introduced carbon frame
Penny Copper
Penny X-Metal Ruby - not sure how rare the production was, but highly desirable thanks to X-Men

i think there was a Penny TiO2 also for a very short time, but discontinued due to finishing problems

anyone else care to chime in?

I passed up a chance to get a mars leather the other week. It was in great condition seemingly but I just wimped out at the price a bit, and someone else got them. Regretting it quite a bit after seeing it on this list!

Back