• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

THE TOP RAREST FROGSKINS.. Prototype and artist series

Was the Kobe Bryant pair by Andrew Petterson sanctioned by Oakley or a pair he made for him independently? I am aware that Brian Takumi has created a number of glasses with his own paint design but again I would question if these can be referred to as 'genuine Oakley sunglasses'. Oakley has a copious number of employees across the globe, and in theory someone working for the brand can pull a Frogskin frame, add some paint, and then say "hey, this is a 1 of 1 unique prototype", which in all honesty probably costs a few $s and hours to make, then can somehow transfer into a major 4 figure ebay auction monster. People can count this stuff, fine by me, but what I am interested in is bona fide items 100% manufactured by the brand, material, lenses, paint, everything.
When dealing with the pairs in micro quantity we inevitably find a blur between items that are real and others that are third party customs. Brian Takumi Concept Studio, Andrew Petterson any one of the 50, this is real, genuine Oakley. However, If Brian or Andrew or any other employee wake up one day and spray some paint at a Fuel Cell, it's not a proper Oakley in my opinion.
A couple others mentioned in the thread... The Yellow - Blue EB pair has been denied by the head man at Eastern Boarder, and in any event can be made the same with the yellow frame/blue icons by a third party and claimed to be the real deal. It may be genuine, I can't confirm it's a custom, but it is at least potentially impossible to prove the 'colour' is 'real Oakley manufacture colour'.
The FMJ Red I have never heard of but it sounds extremely desirable, but again, we are probably talking about something a Dr Chop could do and you or I would find it testing to confirm if it is of Oakley manufacture or a third party custom. This is an inherent problem with ultra rare items when they can be made by a good artist. If you are going to trade or empty your bank to get that white whale pair you want to KNOW that is is absolutely 100% genuine. I have known of some catastrophic acquisitions of third party pairs passed on as genuine.
The Gentei Prototype sounds promising, probably comes with nothing so all you have to go on is the frame, and if its along the lines of the original has strong potential to scream 'truth'...I would welcome any more info on any of these...I am not trying to discredit any of them, merely trying to find facts about the Real McCoy. A big thank you to all who contribute.

I held the ebs no doubt they were factory. I dont even think blue iridium was a factory option for frogs yet.

The fmj red story is dels to tell but i have no doubt it's real

I am not sure if nike or oakley commissioned the taters but it was definitely legit

I held the ebs no doubt they were factory. I dont even think blue iridium was a factory option for frogs yet.

The fmj red story is dels to tell but i have no doubt it's real

I am not sure if nike or oakley commissioned the taters but it was definitely legit
Wicked stuff right there.

Anyone here know how many Schoolbus yellow frogs were made before they changed to neon yellow. I have both and I actually like the bus pair better. It's the polished finish I think that makes it so nice

I doubt anyone knows how many were made, the Neon Yellow - Fire 03-200 was allegedly issued in a quantity of 3000 some of which came out in that darker yellow colour since dubbed 'School Bus Yellow', it certainly isn't one of these super low numbers though, just a colour variant within the 03-200 sku, all labelled the same.

I doubt anyone knows how many were made, the Neon Yellow - Fire 03-200 was allegedly issued in a quantity of 3000 some of which came out in that darker yellow colour since dubbed 'School Bus Yellow', it certainly isn't one of these super low numbers though, just a colour variant within the 03-200 sku, all labelled the same.
Someone at HQ mentioned to me the school bus was in the 30 or less pair range. That's what I've heard from a few. Another connected individual told me the number was 26 pairs. I'd be really pleased if that were the case. I love mine... it's mint and so is the box... one of my favorite pairs in my collection of frogs.

Definitely way more than that just based on how many have popped up

I would agree. If School Bus Yellow was a planned limited edition of around 30 pairs it would almost certainly have had it's own sku with a designated label, or at least would have been a separate release to 03-200, instead, the colour was some type of unintended variant of the Neon, the result being this version would obviously be much lesser in number than the targeted colour. Under that circumstance, the only way to have known the exact quantity is for an employee to have gone through every one of the alleged 3000 to establish the number of the darker colour, so if an employee suggested around 30 I would imagine that to be a pure guess, in the case of 26, searching every pair is the only way to be that precise. I can hardly imagine anyone checking to give a reliable quantity.