• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The TRUE Value Of Rare Sunglasses!!

BigHill11590

Oakley Expert
Tampa FL USA
So I have come to the realization over the past few weeks that some things I have collected ,that I thought were "valuable", turned out not to be. I see people posting outrages prices on bidding sites and never sell the item. But month after month I see the same item sitting there... Still not selling because the price it so high.
Now I feel like I view "value" of sunglasses a lot differently than most people. For me, I feel like something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!! That simple! But others tie emotional attachment, or it's limited number into the equation.
One awesome thing about collecting oakleys is that you can collect so manny different styles. Froggies, ventage, artist series, or even the rarer sport frames. So please everyone speak up... What do you think rare sunglasses are worth?? David Flores, holiday oil rigs, OTT, 24k Holbrooks, Artist series, rare froggies, etc... You tell me.

I would like for people to be able to come here and look for rare glasses they are looking to buy/sell and get the true dollar value of the sunglasses there looking for.

I'll start it off...

Matte Black w/ Ruby Iridium OTT
I feel like this pair is worth $300 because of limited number and difficultly to find. However, I also feel the frame it's self is a peace of art work. Designing a frame that has no ear stems is genius! Something only Oakley could design!

you answered it. the value is what someone is willing to pay for it. now of course there are the limited ediitons and artist series that sell for higher prices.
matte black/ruby iridium what?

I believe like any "collectable" its all about supply and demand. If there is a glut in the market, most of the time the price will drop but when the supply gets scarce and the demand rises, obviously the price rises as well. While sometimes we can all pick up a steal it is not a true representation of the value. Just as some of the over inflated prices are not a true reflection as well. Its worth what someone will pay for it, the problem is it can vary greatly from week to week. ...or what you have it insured for.

not the same. if is the polished black/white then is a good deal. if is the golbrook then is a freakin super killer deal. but yea either way congrats

I agree, my opinion has always been this. The TRUE VALUE of a pair of Oakleys is what it sells for on the bay in an AUCTION style listing. Just because someone marks it $400 and some sucker bites on it because they need or want it for their own purposes is not the true value. Remember, a sucker is born every minute! I just saw a pair of frost blue rigs sell for $405 on the bay as an auction with like 35 bids. To me that is the true value of it. However, someone listed one last month for $600....crazy! It also did not sell at that price. As for the matte black ruby, i assume u mean the ott. Id say around 450 for those. As for the flores, id say 500-600 for the blue and 800-1000 for the brown.

Back