• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The TRUE Value Of Rare Sunglasses!!

The matte clear with text comes up so seldom its hard to determine its actual value.

As u know i have the rarest of all holiday oil rigs:

58feed01.jpg

Ya i dont get it...same with fuente hijinx and antix. Theres the same number of each but the antix is much harder to get.

Last pair of brown Flores I saw sell went for $1900... Does that mean I put that value on mine "NO"! The value on mine to me is what I was willing to pay and did to get them... Just because one sells for a high price does not mean thats the new bar for the item, it means there were two people who wanted them equally and were willing to pay what they could afford to get them... A romeo 1 Plasma fire sold today for $1300, new bar set? I doubt it, you could throw yours on there tonight and might get $650 next week for them... Its not an exact science by any means, but we all do what we can here to determine prices for each other when asked our opinions. I would like to believe that all my pairs are worth the highest I have seen them sell for, its just not realistic...

Last pair of brown Flores I saw sell went for $1900... Does that mean I put that value on mine "NO"! The value on mine to me is what I was willing to pay and did to get them... Just because one sells for a high price does not mean thats the new bar for the item, it means there were two people who wanted them equally and were willing to pay what they could afford to get them... A romeo 1 Plasma fire sold today for $1300, new bar set? I doubt it, you could throw yours on there tonight and might get $650 next week for them... Its not an exact science by any means, but we all do what we can here to determine prices for each other when asked our opinions. I would like to believe that all my pairs are worth the highest I have seen them sell for, its just not realistic...
@Lupetto (you may be interested in FearGearGarage's post for your brown Flores!!)

I also think that there are wilder fluctuations in pricing for rare items for some of the following reasons:-
1. People want to complete their sets (e.g. #23 blackline carabiner, #23 carbon carabiner, etc) and if something is rare, and they've already spent a ton of money for their other sets already, then they'll be willing to pay extra.
2. Some people genuinely don't know that the item they have is rare e.g. Rare frogskin or sample/sporting allocation that got given to them by an Oakley rep or friend. It's a bit like the stories you see occasionally in the news where a rare piece of artwork has been discovered at a garage sale and it turns out that it's worth a couple of million dollars!
3. It depends on how desparately the seller is to sell e.g. if they need cash, they may drop the price significantly. Often it takes time to sell expensive items.
4. It depends on how much disposable cash the buyer has. If they have a lot of cash, then obviously even a few hundred dollars may not be a problem for them if they want the item.
5. Anticipation on what the market is perceived to do. If a person is purchasing their Oakleys as an actual investment, then this may influence whether they pay more or less than accepted market price. If you think the market will go up, then some may buy a bit higher and offload them later e.g. Madman RAWs. Of course, you could also get burnt, too.

P.S. You would see the same "fluctuations" even in relatively more commonly found Oakleys also, if you care to look. Sometimes, holbrooks can be found for $20 etc.

Last edited:
@Lupetto (you may be interested in FearGearGarage's post for your brown Flores!!

I also think that there are wilder fluctuations in pricing for rare items for some of the following reasons:-
1. People want to complete their sets (e.g. #23 blackline carabiner, #23 carbon carabiner, etc) and if something is rare, and they've already spent a ton of money for their other sets already, then they'll be willing to pay extra.
2. Some people genuinely don't know that the item they have is rare e.g. Rare frogskin or sample/sporting allocation that got given to them by an Oakley rep or friend. It's a bit like the stories you see occasionally in the news where a rare piece of artwork has been discovered at a garage sale and it turns out that it's worth a couple of million dollars!
3. It depends on how desparately the seller is to sell e.g. if they need cash, they may drop the price significantly. Often it takes time to sell expensive items.
4. It depends on how much disposable cash the buyer has. If they have a lot of cash, then obviously even a few hundred dollars may not be a problem for them if they want the item.
5. Anticipation on what the market is perceived to do. If a person is purchasing their Oakleys as an actual investment, then this may influence whether they pay more or less than accepted market price. If you think the market will go up, then some may buy a bit higher and offload them later e.g. Madman RAWs. Of course, you could also get burnt, too.

P.S. You would see the same "fluctuations" even in relatively more commonly found Oakleys also, if you care to look. Sometimes, holbrooks can be found for $20 etc.

Dude, check the date of the last post sent?

Latest Posts

Back