• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

The TRUE Value Of Rare Sunglasses!!

Yup this kind of artist (flores) sold for 350-400 at the time collecting was still hot, nowadays i doubt you will get 300 for them.

Now that this thread has risen from the dead. It does link to my experience of what is going on on ebay at the moment. There seems to be a few people disposing of their X-Metal collections and the prices appear to be on the high side.

I get that the item condition and the fact that it is ebay may have a bearing, but you also have to factor in supply and demand. As has been said a few times on here if you collect you should not expect to get back what you put in or even make a profit. You may be lucky and win!

Juliets for example, appear to be available all year round with no issues, so expecting high prices on them is a little ambitious (putting "Rare" on it when there are over 20 similar items is also a bit silly). Swamping the market with all of someone's collection will also give the impression of easy availability (trickle them onto ebay). Finally, if priced high, it just looks like they are trying to cash in. I guess the best way to find out what the market will bear is to put it for auction and not a "buy it now" with a stupid price. It will only sit there until someone wants that particular item and is willing to pay the price (could be a very very long wait).

Another factor that is increasingly becoming apparent, is how many people will continue to appreciate these pieces long term. With Oakley gradually declining as a brand within the Luxotica monolith, new acolytes for the Oakley products and appreciation are declining. This trickles down to the collection of old Oakley memorabilia.

I have my small collection which I will keep and wear. But will these be worth anything in 10 years (except to me)? Dubious!

All I know/hope is there will be a few people like me who will keep them going for those parts that wear out. Thanks @THE X-MAN , @jdd32 and all others for this support.

EDIT: Sorry @Chris A Hardaway should have added you in here for the lenses :)

I do agree with this to an extent. Because I know some pieces go for far over retail. And some that are even under retail, I look at what you said this way. Anyone and everyone who wants something, is willing to pay more for something that is no longer available, which means that something like the matte black ott with ruby you are talking about, is going to be a lot more than retail, 300$ is not determined by the buyer, but by the seller. Anyway, there's my 2 cents

I do agree with this to an extent. Because I know some pieces go for far over retail. And some that are even under retail, I look at what you said this way. Anyone and everyone who wants something, is willing to pay more for something that is no longer available, which means that something like the matte black ott with ruby you are talking about, is going to be a lot more than retail, 300$ is not determined by the buyer, but by the seller. Anyway, there's my 2 cents
I have to declare my X-Metal affiliation here. That is my main interest. But you are right, there are some items with a lot of historical/intrinsic value/low volume runs (OTT/Medusa/C-Six...etc). However, run of the mill stuff..????!!!! Not so sure!

I have to declare my X-Metal affiliation here. That is my main interest. But you are right, there are some items with a lot of historical/intrinsic value/low volume runs (OTT/Medusa/C-Six...etc). However, run of the mill stuff..????!!!! Not so sure!
I don't believe xmetals would decline in value. They're an iconic sculpted piece of art made of a valuable material. In fact, I'd reckon they'll eventually go up in value as more silly DIYers and crappy repair shops break more and more frames...

My advice is to buy them for enjoyment and don't expect them to be an investment vehicle. That way, you won't get disappointed if prices fall below your expectations and you'd be happy regardless of valuation because you're enjoying them everyday

Another old thread. Prices when xmetals and oakley stuff were "hot" nowadays not so. Try posting that flores it wont even sell at 400 lol. That piece would be a hard sell now.

Back