• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

They Call It Hip Hop...

I'd put meth, Luda n PAC in my top 10 but I was never a biggie fan n busts sucks now.lol....how you gonna leave BTNH and slaughterhouse outta best group! Ive been listening to tech n9ne for about 6 months n he definately solid. Only problem is we had to bootleg anyone who's not mega famous... I remember years ago I had to get HMV to import me Murphy lee's album coz it wasnt coming in out in England...cost me almost £40...for 1 album! it's nuts. I'm sure there's independent dealers who stock them, but not where I am...not so much of an issue now though thanks to digital distribution

I'd put meth, Luda n PAC in my top 10 but I was never a biggie fan n busts sucks now.lol....how you gonna leave BTNH and slaughterhouse outta best group! Ive been listening to tech n9ne for about 6 months n he definately solid. Only problem is we had to bootleg anyone who's not mega famous... I remember years ago I had to get HMV to import me Murphy lee's album coz it wasnt coming in out in England...cost me almost £40...for 1 album! it's nuts. I'm sure there's independent dealers who stock them, but not where I am...not so much of an issue now though thanks to digital distribution

Yeah, Busta has fallen off, LOL. I've been sleepin' on Tech N9ne, gonna have to check it out. I also forgot Outkast (old school Outkast), LONS, Souls of Mischief, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Camp Lo, Tribe, Roots, Lords of the Underground...damn, just too many to list!!! True dat, digital distro has made life much, much easier, hehe!

Hip hop now is a joke, it's become a cliche of itself and hasn't moved on or evolved in over a decade. Hip hop music videos made today could've been made 10 years ago. Lots of scantily clad women (otherwise known as bitches and hoes), expensive cars, wear sunglasses at night and throw up a few gangsta signs. Video done.

As for Kanye, the only person I know who loves Kanye is Kanye. As for Lil'Wayne, honestly, the most useless lyricist I've heard in quite a while. For example:

In here like bitch, what's up,
Mechanic me, I can fix ya up,
I can **** you up, I can **** you down,
Shorty, we can go where ever, just pick a town,
And my jewelry is louder than the engine sound,
Big ass rocks like off the ground,
Dirty like sex that's on the ground,
Weezy.

Thank you Lil' Wayne for blessing us with such artistry.

Nas called it, 'Hip-hop is dead'. Public Enemy still put everyone else to shame.

Hip hop now is a joke, it's become a cliche of itself and hasn't moved on or evolved in over a decade. Hip hop music videos made today could've been made 10 years ago. Lots of scantily clad women (otherwise known as bitches and hoes), expensive cars, wear sunglasses at night and throw up a few gangsta signs. Video done.

As for Kanye, the only person I know who loves Kanye is Kanye. As for Lil'Wayne, honestly, the most useless lyricist I've heard in quite a while. For example:

In here like bitch, what's up,
Mechanic me, I can fix ya up,
I can **** you up, I can **** you down,
Shorty, we can go where ever, just pick a town,
And my jewelry is louder than the engine sound,
Big ass rocks like off the ground,
Dirty like sex that's on the ground,
Weezy.

Thank you Lil' Wayne for blessing us with such artistry.

Nas called it, 'Hip-hop is dead'. Public Enemy still put everyone else to shame.

I agree to some extent but the only reason artists do the scantily clad woman in videos and the less complex, sometimes pop inspired songs is to appeal to a larger demographic... Jay-z famously "dumbed down for his audience and doubled his dollars" lil Wayne can be a bit hit and miss but he's pretty much at the top of my list for flow.. The dudes awesome, strangely all of his mixtapes are better than his albums though..the drought series are some of the best mixtapes out there.. Along with Lloyd banks money in the bank series.. As for Kanye..again I think he's awesome, college dropout is one of the best debuts to ever drop.. (don't get me wrong it's no illmatic, but it's still v good)...as far as the evolution of hip hop... I think the evolution is the way people write their rhymes rather than what they talk about...the greats are all into the metaphorical, compound syllable rhyming which is incredible when it's done right... The south still ain't caught up though n they just sound so lazy and uninspired ( I'm lookin at you waka flocka flame!)...all in all..hip hop isn't dead, I'd say there's plenty of talent in the pot.

Hip Hop/Rap is dead and it's the newer artists that have killed it!! The only two people even trying to keep it alive these days are Ice Cube and The Game. (there are loads of decent underground artists out there, but let's face it, we hardly ever hear of them unless we stumble across them accidentally) It really has become a joke and is only about the money artists can make. It isn't even about the lyrics anymore (the above mentioned Lil' Wayne lyric is a prime example).

I grew up listening to nothing but gangsta rap and absolutely loved it, these days I hardly even listen to it! If I do, I stick to 2Pac, Bone Thugs 'n Harmony and (early) Snoop. Generally, I'll take Country and Metal over Hip Hop now!

Back onto the topic of lyrics tho, I suggest looking up a few of the following Hip Hop groups. These guys really pay detailed attention to their lyrics and word play. Some may shun their song topics, but each to their own! Check them out and tell me what you think?

Lecrae - Jesus Muzik ft. Trip Lee Video (@Lecrae @Triplee116 @Reachrecords) - YouTube

Rise Up-Cross Movement - YouTube

Hip Hop/Rap is dead and it's the newer artists that have killed it!! The only two people even trying to keep it alive these days are Ice Cube and The Game. (there are loads of decent underground artists out there, but let's face it, we hardly ever hear of them unless we stumble across them accidentally) It really has become a joke and is only about the money artists can make. It isn't even about the lyrics anymore (the above mentioned Lil' Wayne lyric is a prime example).

I grew up listening to nothing but gangsta rap and absolutely loved it, these days I hardly even listen to it! If I do, I stick to 2Pac, Bone Thugs 'n Harmony and (early) Snoop. Generally, I'll take Country and Metal over Hip Hop now!

Back onto the topic of lyrics tho, I suggest looking up a few of the following Hip Hop groups. These guys really pay detailed attention to their lyrics and word play. Some may shun their song topics, but each to their own! Check them out and tell me what you think?

Lecrae - Jesus Muzik ft. Trip Lee Video (@Lecrae @Triplee116 @Reachrecords) - YouTube

Rise Up-Cross Movement - YouTube

Sorry mickle but I have to disagree with you entirely there.lol..Ice cube and the game the only ones keeping hip hop alive? I agree that it may seem that rap ain't about lyrics anymore but that's because ( as you said) people generally only get to hear mainstream hip hop...radio singles..money makers, club songs...whatever ya wanna call them... There are incredible lyricists around but the complex stuff stays on the album..the mainstream stuff ends up on MTV to make you buy the album... I love btnh...love PAC...love snoop but it hurts me to know that a former hip hop fan would rather listen to country/metal.lol...check out slaughterhouse..4 incredible lyricists, they haven't once catered to the mainstream (may change now their on shady records).

Never heard of cross movement but I like lecrae, Got after the music stops, rebel and rehab...saw him on the cypher aswell....I heard he got a song dropping with murs n 9th wonder which I'll jump on straight away..love murs...I kinda feel outta place with the gospel rap though, being an atheist..can't really relate but I appreciate the message and flow..much like I can't relate to being a black youth in a rough neighborhood... But I can still appreciate the message and flow....hip hop is a bridge..or an insight.

I am very jealous that you are going to see watch the throne. It seems like an amazing concert. I watched Jay-Z live online from SXSW, pretty good concert, but I have hear amazing things about the watch the throne tour, so I am sure you will have a blast.

Latest Posts

Back