• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Think I found a generation difference?

Dukeman24

Oakley Enthusiast
I don’t know if this has been discussed on here before or not, but I noticed a difference in my Juliet’s...one pair is a 24-125 frame and the other is J serial....

There is clearly a difference in the with of the nosebridge at the top...I have 2 J serial Juliet’s and they’re both wider than the later 24-125 frame....Could anyone explain why? Has this been discussed before??

569B102B-EA15-4A03-BF34-1567F114D562.jpeg

Just casting differences probably or the finishing techniques changed over the generations. Earlier frames were more hand finished and later gens went to more automated finishing in tumblers and such it looks by how many I've taken apart. There's alot of variations in x metals. Casting titanium isn't like popping out o matter pairs the consistency just isn't quite as tight.

I have too noticed this difference. Part of why my early J serial is my favorite pair. Just a great fitting frame. But this is also what I love most about xmetals, the fact that no 2 are alike. Every single pair I've owned has had some "variation." Part of the charm for me.

I have too noticed this difference. Part of why my early J serial is my favorite pair. Just a great fitting frame. But this is also what I love most about xmetals, the fact that no 2 are alike. Every single pair I've owned has had some "variation." Part of the charm for me.
Yes exactly. They're all different. Some have giant casting pinholes some have the sanding marks from when they were hand finished at the factory. Some just sit crooked and never be level. Alot of juliets the left orbital is too big and oem lenses nearly fall out lol. They're all over the place and alot don't know that it seems.

I don’t know if this has been discussed on here before or not, but I noticed a difference in my Juliet’s...one pair is a 24-125 frame and the other is J serial....

There is clearly a difference in the with of the nosebridge at the top...I have 2 J serial Juliet’s and they’re both wider than the later 24-125 frame....Could anyone explain why? Has this been discussed before??

View attachment 474247
interstingly enough though, it looks like they are interchangeable which would have one deduce that it wasnt a design flaw or deliberate adjustment.

Yeah, I suppose I’m a bit further behind on this than you guys lol. It wasn’t until recently that I owned a serialized pair. All I’ve had were 4th Gen no serial frames..what generation is the 24-125??

Yeah, I suppose I’m a bit further behind on this than you guys lol. It wasn’t until recently that I owned a serialized pair. All I’ve had were 4th Gen no serial frames..what generation is the 24-125??

4th Gen no serial and 5th Gen no serial they switched over to a different casting method (wax loss, I believe) which is why it starts to become more "perfection" in those. The early gen frames are very cool though. Where else can you say: "I have a hand-made titanium frame?"

So most guys prefer the earlier generation frames? I also noticed that the 5th gen frame is a shade darker than my 2 J serial...the earlier ones seem to be uneven...while there are a few scratches her and there, nothing is too bad, so I don’t see myself getting them refinished because they won’t be the same

Just casting differences probably or the finishing techniques changed over the generations. Earlier frames were more hand finished and later gens went to more automated finishing in tumblers and such it looks by how many I've taken apart. There's alot of variations in x metals. Casting titanium isn't like popping out o matter pairs the consistency just isn't quite as tight.
If you notice the pins on my J serial look like hell...this is why I ordered the replacements from you lol

Back