• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Thoughts On Customized Frogskins?

jest3R

Oakley Beginner
Hello all!

I've been a lurker for a while, and finally found a topic I'd really like to get fellow frogskin enthusiasts opinions on.

What are your thoughts on brands or companies creating a run of unauthorized Oakley "collaborations"? Where the brand or company uses authentic Oakley product but it is customized rather than produced by Oakley themselves?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions.

Welcome to the forum.

If they are "unauthorized" they most likely wouldn't be happening anyway but I would also be against it just because.

Now if you're talking a Dr. Chop special that's a whole different story. He produces works of art and in many cases completes a product that only the gods can answer as to why the O had not produced it that way in the first place.

Unauthorized product? Nope.

Redone or rejuvenated? Yes sir

On another note. If this other company is making a profit by putting out said unauthorized product then hell no. Why should they make money like that? It's stealing basically

Not too sure abt unauthorized collaborations, but I know of some which have basically been epic lazy efforts. Basically just OCP pairs. And of coz, there will always be the SLC fiasco.

Welcome to the forum.

If they are "unauthorized" they most likely wouldn't be happening anyway but I would also be against it just because.

Now if you're talking a Dr. Chop special that's a whole different story. He produces works of art and in many cases completes a product that only the gods can answer as to why the O had not produced it that way in the first place.

Unauthorized product? Nope.

Redone or rejuvenated? Yes sir

Yes, agree, NEVER unauthorized product, I'm talking about authentic Frogs that have been customized to a company's liking.

A Dr. Chop pair is a great example. What if a company were to approach him to make, say 30 pairs, for them but they would be branded by that company. For ex: Coca-Cola x Oakley? Dr. Chop gets paid for his work, and in turn, Coke would get a marketing and slight financial return as well. (coke may have been a bad example as they do not need the money nor hype but it was the only well known company I could think of in the instant as an example)

Is that acceptable?

As far as for profit, isn't that what the purpose of a company is: to make money?

I think my stance on it is that if it's explicitly stated that it isn't an official collaboration with Oakley, then it should be acceptable. But like it's been mentioned, if it's going to be lazy, then it isn't worth doing.

That's something that's talked about a lot on these forums I've come to see, that Oakley's authorized collaborations are boring and lacking. I think if a small business were looking to build a little bit of hype as well as a dope product, where's the harm in that?

Not too sure abt unauthorized collaborations, but I know of some which have basically been epic lazy efforts. Basically just OCP pairs. And of coz, there will always be the SLC fiasco.

OCP = oakley custom program, correct? What was the SLC fiasco, could you elaborate?

OCP = oakley custom program, correct? What was the SLC fiasco, could you elaborate?

Yup lazy OCP pairs collabs would include (to me at least) the sneaker politics pairs. Basically OCP frames and lenses with etching. Even though they were limited numbers, I was never enticed to get them. The recent rag and bone Camo collab? That was worth getting.

As for the SLC "collab" it's too much to type out esp thru my mobile right now. Perhaps search for Shadow Lawn Creepers using the forum search and see what comes up. You'll see what I mean.

What about the Hawaiian "custom" ones coming from pipedreams? They mix em up on the page with official oakley releases...

We have a local business that did this. They had someone do a navy chrome finish to some frogs and brooks and then put their business logo on the inside of the legs like most collaboration frames and then they threw some blue polarized lenses in them and etched their business logo on them. They looked like they were straight from oakley but I was informed by the owner that that was not that case. He told me that he asked their Oakley rep if it was ok and they said they had no problem with it but informed him that it would void they warranty and that they would have to inform people before purchasing them that that was the case. I think the store offered their own warranty which was basically the same as oakleys 1 year system.

Back