• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Thoughts on new sunglasses

One thing I've noticed too with conglomerates like Lux is that when one brand introduces a new frame shape (i.e. recently with round lenses), the other brands under the same umbrella will follow suit with their own interpretations of the same frame shape. They are probably saving money on making the same or similar lenses for use across the different brands.

I wish Oakley would figure out a way to make a metal frame wraparound sports sunglasses that doesn't sit so close to my eyelashes and not hit my cheeks at the same time. I honestly have gotten tired of wearing Ray Ban Predators after 20 years. I thought the Badman would fit but it didn't work out.

Last edited:
I like the look of the straightlink. I think the unobtanium along the earstems will be especially helpful. Flak 2.0 is my current all around go to pair because of their functionality in outdoor sweat involved activity. As soon as I seen the straightlink I thought hmm these may make a good all around frame that would function similar to the flak 2.0 but not have as sporty a look. I actually ordered a pair to see how I like the fit, hopefully they fit well.

Don't understand frogskin? Doesn't red mean danger? Lol! You the man @Wally Taylor I totally agree on the frames outside Holbrook. Hey people, when Frogskin lx and Holbrook lx I loved the better hinge and acetate plastic. Why didn't they last? "Too expensive?"

I looked at Adidas and Nike shades last night just out of curiosity. I have to say that the Oakley shades are a little more refined. Maybe I just am an Oakley guy. But I have to say that all three have some similar models. Being an Oakley guy, I'd like to think that Oakley designed them, and the other two lines took some design ideas from Oakley, but without Jim at the helm, who knows who got there first.
In the Jim Jannard days, noone else really had anything as cool as Oakley. The logo still gives some cool options for the design in the hinge area. That oval just gives You some oprions as far as the ikon being integral with the hinge.area, Nike and Adaidas have to change their ikons to have that cool option. Their hinges are either a mitered or flat line. Not as cool as Oakley in the hinge area.
I will never buy anything but Oakley, but I wish that Oakley had some of the models in the Frogskin line that Nike has in their similar shades. They have some pretty cool shades in that variety. If they had a cool Oakley ikon, I would buy a few. But their frames don't have Plutonite lenses, and that's the important part.

Latest Posts

Back