• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

THOUGHTS ON OXM

Update - I got my OXM parts and replaced the washers on my 2011 Juliets. Being my first time, it took quite awhile to get them in, but it worked out great. I was very surprised to see that there were 2 sets of OEM washer on EACH SIDE of the ear stems; so 4 total washer PER side. As people have noted, diff generations had diff fitments, so they must just have one type of washer and double up on the required frames.

View attachment 724883

Actually all X Metals have two on top and two on bottom. That way you have two of them always rubbing on each other and it makes the arms work better.

I would definitely use four thin ones over two thick ones on each arm.

Update - I got my OXM parts and replaced the washers on my 2011 Juliets. Being my first time, it took quite awhile to get them in, but it worked out great. I was very surprised to see that there were 2 sets of OEM washer on EACH SIDE of the ear stems; so 4 total washer PER side. As people have noted, diff generations had diff fitments, so they must just have one type of washer and double up on the required frames.

View attachment 724883
All frames from oem had 8 washers per frame. 2 on the top of the arm and 2 on the bottom. That the washers would pivot on each other. So basically the top washers would act together. The top top one would stay put against the orbital and the top bottom one would stay put on the arm. Same idea on the bottom side of the arm. Then as the arm pivots the washers would only rub against themselves. So the rubbing is plastic on plastic. If using only one washer on each side of the arm then there is plastic rubbing against metal.

Well that makes a lot of sense! The OXM washers come in a set of 4, which I figured were meant to be used 2 on each side (and the pics only appear to show one washer on each of the top and bottom. Am I supposed to be using all 4 for one stem? No idea how I would get that to work. Perhaps I should have ordered the loose fit set and used those to double up?

I imagine the only real downside of the way I have it now is that the washer would wear out faster being plastic rubbing on titanium...?

I like the OXM washers...yes they are tight around the threads of the 2-56 screw...I use a steel toothpick lookin thing to line them up and push and turn that screw once I get a clearshot thru.I think they will last longer than the 2 per point.....but that's just me.... The originals would last forever if people will just keep some lubrication on them..

I like the OXM washers...yes they are tight around the threads of the 2-56 screw...I use a steel toothpick lookin thing to line them up and push and turn that screw once I get a clearshot thru.I think they will last longer than the 2 per point.....but that's just me.... The originals would last for ever of people will just keep some lubrication on them..
And not crank the earstem screws down so tight it just smashes the washers. I've had some frames come in that are so tight can barely get the arms to move. That destroys the oem washers in a hurry.

And not crank the earstem screws down so tight it just smashes the washers. I've had some frames come in that are so tight can barely get the arms to move. That destroys the oem washers in a hurry.

Oops... I crank mine... I like them tight. I'll loosen them!

What kind of lube do people use on OEM washers?

I use dab of grease to hold everything togeather and spread the orbitals so the new thicker washers go in easily without pushing them out of place during installation. Over tightening the arms does absolutely nothing for the fit.

Back