• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Three Great Reasons Why Every Decent Collection should have (Soulfulfrog) Customs

cacatman

No one knows 'cacat' like cacatman!!
Staff member
Premium Member
Lifetime Member
Like most of you, I love x-metals. But o-matter, if done right, is awesome. They're light, quite a few models don't need replacement rubbers, and surprisingly robust (although don't try stepping on Gen 1 Frogskins with a ski boot like @OttawaMike).

Think about it. Oakley do make limited edition sunglasses. Usually reasonably rare ones would be numbering about 50-100 pairs. If you get lucky, they may actually be hand painted by a human being instead of a machine.

Custom painters like @SouLFuLFrog would likely do way less of a certain design than Oakley's official L.E. stuff. Their customs would number in the 10s at most (or perhaps even 1s!). Anyone can do a custom, but a handful would be able to do the quality of the work of the guys found on this page.

So IMHO, if you have the good fortune to manage to snare any custom pairs from a resident Artist, you really have obtained something way more valuable than the price you actually paid.

That's why they deserve their own top shelf (above the PB Ducati/Tron and C6).

P.S. Brian usually signs all the sunglasses he does on the arms, but I believe that I'm the only one in the world to have my own "signed" custom MF bag and box....at least for now!!!!;)

IMG_8017.JPG
IMG_8018.JPG
IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8020.JPG
IMG_8021.JPG
IMG_8022.JPG
IMG_8023.JPG
IMG_8024.JPG
IMG_8025.JPG
IMG_8026.JPG
IMG_8027.JPG
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8029.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG

Those look amazing, did soulfrog custom them or did you have input on how you wanted them done?

Really nice pieces, especially the box and bag!
There was some discussion way back about an OEM Blends that I was interested in and I asked @SouLFuLFrog for his opinion. Fast forward a year later, I decided to trade a prototype pair that I had from the factory, for some customs of his, so I gave a fairly open "brief" to him and this is what he came up with.

I liked the idea of "matching" Blends i.e. frogskins and holbrooks (which suit my face better), but I also wanted something quite unique. I also made a special request for Brian to just write me a small note like a certificate of authenticity, because I thought that would look super cool in my display!

Then Brian surprised me by going way above and beyond by doing a custom box AND microfibre bag. I mean, the guy is a legend.

It is quite hard not to use superlatives for these people.

I'm trying to get something from every Artist in my list. I've already got a @Chris A Hardaway Polarized stand signed by RJ himself. And I'm going to ask The X-man to do something for me too seeing I've got two frames from him.

When I was at the post office i was like dammit I should have grabbed him something Canadian so I went back out to my truck and grabbed what I saw in my coffee stash tray lol.. I didn't notice the rememberance ones were in there..

Like most of you, I love x-metals. But o-matter, if done right, is awesome. They're light, quite a few models don't need replacement rubbers, and surprisingly robust (although don't try stepping on Gen 1 Frogskins with a ski boot like @OttawaMike).

Think about it. Oakley do make limited edition sunglasses. Usually reasonably rare ones would be numbering about 50-100 pairs. If you get lucky, they may actually be hand painted by a human being instead of a machine.

Custom painters like @SouLFuLFrog would likely do way less of a certain design than Oakley's official L.E. stuff. Their customs would number in the 10s at most (or perhaps even 1s!). Anyone can do a custom, but a handful would be able to do the quality of the work of the guys found on this page.

So IMHO, if you have the good fortune to manage to snare any custom pairs from a resident Artist, you really have obtained something way more valuable than the price you actually paid.

That's why they deserve their own top shelf (above the PB Ducati/Tron and C6).

P.S. Brian usually signs all the sunglasses he does on the arms, but I believe that I'm the only one in the world to have my own "signed" custom MF bag and box....at least for now!!!!;)

View attachment 340392 View attachment 340393 View attachment 340394 View attachment 340395 View attachment 340396 View attachment 340397 View attachment 340398 View attachment 340399 View attachment 340400 View attachment 340401 View attachment 340402 View attachment 340403 View attachment 340404 View attachment 340405

I'm at 5 pair and counting of his, Cacat. And I absolutely agree with your reasoning! I love wearing them and explaining to people here at work who ask who he is and what he does. Killer stuff and one just isn't enough!

Back