• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Ti Frogs

Oakley is releasing 500 of these at $410 a pop. Feel sorry for the owners of 5 at $2200 a pop. Good ole Lux.
Rat Bastards
You get extras for the money but idk if it’s worth that much of a difference.

This is probably the coolest of the recent "limited" releases I have seen but I am still baffled at the price for a $250 (at best) pair of glasses. Seems Lux is taking the formula of the sports card industry to sell over inflated stuff to hopelessly hooked collectors and flippers. Something comes on the scene and is sold by Lux for double (probably triple) value, then that person sells it for double or triple what they paid for a short time, then the market is satisfied and the value drops back to what Lux sold it for or less. The sports card industry has actually been in hot water over inflating actual values and to me this kind of thing is no different. I mean come on... there have been how many "limited releases" in just the past two months? It gets watered down eventually. Personally I think I will drop my $400 on a classic like a Mickey Mantle (X Metal). For you serious froggers though... its an awesome piece and I see the attraction. I just don't like the formula!

This is probably the coolest of the recent "limited" releases I have seen but I am still baffled at the price for a $250 (at best) pair of glasses. Seems Lux is taking the formula of the sports card industry to sell over inflated stuff to hopelessly hooked collectors and flippers. Something comes on the scene and is sold by Lux for double (probably triple) value, then that person sells it for double or triple what they paid for a short time, then the market is satisfied and the value drops back to what Lux sold it for or less. The sports card industry has actually been in hot water over inflating actual values and to me this kind of thing is no different. I mean come on... there have been how many "limited releases" in just the past two months? It gets watered down eventually. Personally I think I will drop my $400 on a classic like a Mickey Mantle (X Metal). For you serious froggers though... its an awesome piece and I see the attraction. I just don't like the formula!
Out of curiosity, how do you arrive at $250? Not questioning your opinion, just asking.

Out of curiosity, how do you arrive at $250? Not questioning your opinion, just asking.
Just being in an industry where you see the profit margins it makes me question just how much Lux has in a pair of glasses. Rolling off the assembly line I bet $100 - $150 for a Titanium frame and lenses and packaging. They double the price of cost then the retailer is told to double the price for which most undercut at 40% even 30% profit margins. When I see this particular pair I just see $150 to $200 of value missing for what it really is.

At 500 pieces I’ll bet it cost them more than you’d think. R&D, design, manufacturing setup, etc. A lot of dough for 500. The more of something made, the more watered down the costs. Also a sell out in a few hours tells me it was priced well.

At 500 pieces I’ll bet it cost them more than you’d think. R&D, design, manufacturing setup, etc. A lot of dough for 500. The more of something made, the more watered down the costs. Also a sell out in a few hours tells me it was priced well.
I can absolutely see how they sold out in a flash. If Frogs were my thing I would have likely been sure to secure a pair since it is an iconic piece. I will admit for about a minute I did think about it. The Ti part of the build attracted me and this particular pair is likely to hold its place in the future but the profits at retail are ridiculous on any brand of upper end sunglasses and allot of them like the "limited" Plazma's for instance are an overpriced gimmick at best and bound to crash into non notoriety. I feel as well that the quality overall is not like buying a pair of R1 or J's in 2000 for $250. You could see the money when you bought a pair of those and you knew every screw in it and hinge design was made to be the best. There are guys making a living on hinge repairs now with the "cost saving shortcuts" of the current product.

I can absolutely see how they sold out in a flash. If Frogs were my thing I would have likely been sure to secure a pair since it is an iconic piece. I will admit for about a minute I did think about it. The Ti part of the build attracted me and this particular pair is likely to hold its place in the future but the profits at retail are ridiculous on any brand of upper end sunglasses and allot of them like the "limited" Plazma's for instance are an overpriced gimmick at best and bound to crash into non notoriety. I feel as well that the quality overall is not like buying a pair of R1 or J's in 2000 for $250. You could see the money when you bought a pair of those and you knew every screw in it and hinge design was made to be the best. There are guys making a living on hinge repairs now with the "cost saving shortcuts" of the current product.
I wouldn’t argue that at all.

However, and I’m making up numbers if I’m honest, the R1 today would probably be $2000 with inflation and the cost of doing anything close to that manufacturing process.

I love Plazmas but no they won’t be very valuable in the long run.

Latest Posts

Back