• Take 30 seconds to register your free account to access deals, post topics, and view exclusive content!

Register Today

Join the largest Oakley Forum on the web!

Time Bomb Question

Thanks Frank. Is it an expensive repair?
No. I believe Kronin has it down as he has two done already.

I can't remember if he bought the capacitor or went to his watch person and they had them and swapped them out. But it's supposed to be easy enough.

I think @kronin323 should chime in on this anyway.

Last I remember he went to his watch person. The guy wasn't there but his wife and daughter were. They tell him that the watch can't be fixed. The guy shows up and fixed it in 10 minutes.

Yeah I've been out-of-pocket.

Sounds like you've been pointed to the right info.

It's pretty much like changing a battery, only you have to remove the rotor weight first.

I wouldn't take it to a mall watch kiosk but a competent watch repair / jeweler should be fine.

I took them to a local shop because I didn't want to mess with the rotor weight. Family-owned, well reputed. Patriarch runs the place with his wife running the counter, is apprenticing his daughter to take over some day.

1st TB, piece of cake. 2nd TB, he was out; I made the "mistake" of trying to help by actually telling them which movement it was and which replacement capacitor model # was needed. His wife, behind the counter, was like, "how do you know?" Who cares how I know? Just do it...

They (wife and daughter) just wouldn't believe an Oakley watch would have a Seiko movement, ignored whatever I told or showed them. Daughter mentioned it didn't have any Seiko markings on the movement (no **** Sherlock it's been rebranded). She was finally refusing to do the work when the dad got involved and 10 minutes later the work was complete. Really just a customer service issue. She was afraid of liability if she ****ed it up and wouldn't trust my diagnosis or other info.

But don't let that put you off; it's simple work that anybody with basic competence should be able to handle. Biggest risk is if they jack up one of the coils (like in RonkPM's thread) and that's why I wouldn't go to a mall watch kiosk-type place.

It's pretty much like changing a battery, only you have to remove the rotor weight first.

I wouldn't take it to a mall watch kiosk but a competent watch repair / jeweler should be fine.

I took them to a local shop because I didn't want to mess with the rotor weight. Family-owned, well reputed. Patriarch runs the place with his wife running the counter, is apprenticing his daughter to take over some day.

1st TB, piece of cake. 2nd TB, he was out; I made the "mistake" of trying to help by actually telling them which movement it was and which replacement capacitor model # was needed. His wife, behind the counter, was like, "how do you know?" Who cares how I know? Just do it...

They (wife and daughter) just wouldn't believe an Oakley watch would have a Seiko movement, ignored whatever I told or showed them. Daughter mentioned it didn't have any Seiko markings on the movement (no **** Sherlock it's been rebranded). She was finally refusing to do the work when the dad got involved and 10 minutes later the work was complete. Really just a customer service issue. She was afraid of liability if she ****ed it up and wouldn't trust my diagnosis or other info.

But don't let that put you off; it's simple work that anybody with basic competence should be able to handle. Biggest risk is if they jack up one of the coils (like in RonkPM's thread) and that's why I wouldn't go to a mall watch kiosk-type place.

Thanks @kronin323 !!

I ended up not getting this time bomb after all but it was a friend who I was considering purchasing from so I have passed the info on to him. I ended up getting a working TB that I won't have to mess with :)

I appreciate all of your time.

Off topic but possibly useful. Do you have to set the watch at 6:00 in order to change the date so it doesn't wear the gears down? Or is that an old myth? Or did it only apply to older watches?

i believe this is an issue with any watch with a rapid date adjust feature. this is where you can pull the crown out to a position where turning the crown will rapidly progresses the date without having to go through a whole 24hr cycle to move the date just one day. if the hands are after 11pm (approx) the gears will have entered the date adjust phase and use of the rapid date mechanism will result in gears grinding....

it is good practice to set the time to around 6 o' clock to avoid this issue.

i never bother adjusting the date on any of my watches to completely avoid the issue.

Sent from my Nokia 5210 using TapaTalk

Last edited:
i believe this is an issue with any watch with a rapid date adjust feature. this is where you can pull the crown out to a position where turning the crown will rapidly progresses the date without having to go through a whole 24hr cycle to move the date just one day. if the hands are after 11pm (approx) the gears will have entered the date adjust phase and use of the rapid date mechanism will result in gears grinding....

it is good practice to set the time to around 6 o' clock to avoid this issue.

i never bother adjusting the date on any of my watches to completely avoid the issue.

Sent from my Nokia 5210 using TapaTalk

I read up on it a while back and was always worried about stripping the gears so I developed a habit of setting the watch at 6 to change the date. I bought a used watch that had that issue and it was really expensive to fix. Hopefully that never happens again.

Back